About Melbourne, Vic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysophylax

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm moving to Melbourne soon with my blotched blue tongue, I'm looking for answers to a few questions here.
I've had a look through the government sites but they are confusing and don't give me what info need.
Blotched blue tongues are schedule 5 so I don't need a license, is that correct?

Also I've noticed a snake I've wanted for a while (the common tree snake) is schedule 3, which is a basic licence. In the ACT before I get a similar licence I have to have had a basic reptile (like a blotchy) for at least 2 years, but I can't find what you need to do to get a licence in VIC.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get a licence for a common tree snake (should be the same as getting a Childrens phython, carpet python or bearded dragon from what I can gather)?

Also where are some good reptile stores? we will probably be in the bayside area maybe Frankston.

Thanks

hey hows it going..
with the licensing down here all you need to do is for the license is fill out the forms and send a check there is 2 main types basic and advanced. . i got the advanced license as my first license.. and with you blue tongues you will need to get an import license.. all this can be found out from ringing DSE.. and pet stores
there is one in Fankstone i think the name is banarong aquarium
Mentone Aquarium

these two are the one around that area
i hope this helped.. if you need any more info please let me know.. i live right near Mentone Aquarium
Cheers
Jesse

Hi,
I'm moving to Melbourne soon with my blotched blue tongue, I'm looking for answers to a few questions here.
I've had a look through the government sites but they are confusing and don't give me what info need.Blotched blue tongues are schedule 5 so I don't need a license, is that correct?

You will find the answer to this at this link
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310...pplication+for+a+Private+Wildlife+Licence.pdf
but you are correct in saying

A licence is not required to keep, possess, breed,
buy, sell or dispose of wildlife taxa listed in
Schedule 5 (Part A or Part B) of the of the Wildlife
Regulations 2002 for private purposes, as long as

the wildlife have come from a legal source.
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310...pplication+for+a+Private+Wildlife+Licence.pdf

Also I've noticed a snake I've wanted for a while (the common tree snake) is schedule 3, which is a basic licence. In the ACT before I get a similar licence I have to have had a basic reptile (like a blotchy) for at least 2 years, but I can't find what you need to do to get a licence in VIC.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get a licence for a common tree snake (should be the same as getting a Childrens phython, carpet python or bearded dragon from what I can gather)?

This same link will answer all your questions there is an application form at the rear of the PDF.

Also where are some good reptile stores? we will probably be in the bayside area maybe Frankston.

As for this question i can't give any advise as i don't deal with any reptile shops in this area as i live in rural Vic.

Cheers Brad

thanks guys.

I've already read that DSE form and it didn't really help.

is there anything you need to do besides fill out the form and pay the money (ie. in canberra you have to have had a reptile that doesn't need a licence for 2 years before you can get one in the next class up, and then have one of those for one year before you can get a reptile in the next class above that), do I need to prove I can look after one, do a test or anything?

no, you don't need any experience, fill out the form, get the license in the mail and your good to go

I've been to mentone aquarium and upmarket pets (and plan to visit Banarong aquarium soon)... have been a little dissapointed so far as I thought melbourne would have better reptile shops. (Also havn't seen any tree snakes for sale yet, not that I can afford one right now). What are the best places to go? I am willing to travel!

so where did u end up settling at ?
totaly reptiles isnt bad [ but its rather far for pepole who live in frankston]
Banarong aquarium [ foot street frankston] isnt too bad either .

i would recommend coming over to the hopper/werribee area and visiting matt and harry at Vic Reptiles or even try Amazing Amazon on Springvale Road (yes its a big road and sorry i dont know what end it is at)

Amazing Amazon is in Glen Waverly i think? Good shop though, its worth the drive. Where in Melbourne have you based yourself?

yer matt and harry are very good. have a lot of knowledge and awesome to speak to. they also stock a fairly wide variety and if they dont have what you want they will try and help you get it. schizmz, you form around the werribee area?

Yer m8 up near the quix on tarneit.:)..near the italian social club.. but moving down to cambridge cres within a month.just bought a house so yer.. :D now i can knock down walls to make massive enclosures! lol...matt and harry are legends everyone go there.;)

oh awesome. im just near bethany primary, but my girlfriend lives right near the italian social club. yer i love vicreptiles, i try to get up ther as much as possible. ahaha i live with my grandparents and ive taken over ther lounge with enclosures. soon my place is gonna look like a pet shop

aahh cool...yer i wanna build one in the lounge like harry has in the corner.. that will be fun.

oh cool. just looked at ur pics and i think i might have seen you up at matt and harrys once. yer im using two walls in our family room for a 2 bay enclosure for 2 sandies, measuring 8ft L x 3ft H x 3ft D and a 5 bay with 2x 3ft H x 4ft L x 2ft D and 3 4x2x2s. cant wait until they are all done.

NIce man..8) lol yer i kinda stand out .. . and i do go there alot,i often just hang out and annoy the hell out of em with questions hehe,im going to do matts venemous course later this year.if your ever bored and wanna visit just pm 8)

sure thing, good luck with the course. yer im pretty sure ive seen you ther. im hoping to do the advanced course that they have soon, just to help with my monitor handling and such. goin for my advanced license this year aswell so hoping to get a bit mroe knowledge before i go out and buy a croc or something, gotta get around the girlfriend before that happens though. dw, i do the same, im always asking questions and lookin at the herps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back