abusing the herp industry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serpaint

Reaction score
Hey all,
just wondering people?
My 11 year old nephew is getting right into reptiles and got Central Beardeds for xmas under his mums licence and is doing really well at learning and taking care of them. great, all good there...
He has a 'friend' however, who (inspired by my nephews present) decided to round up some wild local Eastern bearded dragons and is keeping them thinking he will breed them and get rich! ha ha yeah I know, and I found out last weekend, though they are feeding them crickets, also feeding them sausage and pizza among other things:shock:.
Problem is apparently this kids dad has a recreational reptile licence for a spotted python, and they think it is fine.
My nephew is quite worried for the unfortunate captives (as am I) and wanting to do the right thing, wants to do something about it but isn't sure what he can do.
He feels stuck as he knows what is right but doesn't want to go against his friend (not such a loss there but it isn't my decision who his friends are). any ideas for him?
Judging by the sound of it I doubt his friends lizards even have uv lights on them.

Honestly how do you get careless people to learn to give a s@#t???

Tell him they are only worth like $10 bucks each, and they are really difficult to breed.etc, make it sound like he inst going to be rich and that they are going to be a nightmare to keep. Unless he knows what hes doing then....i don't know. Report him secretly?

Bottom line is its illegal to take animals from the wild without the correct permit, I feel sorry for your nephew being stuck in that position but the correct thing to do is report this before the animals suffer through UV lacking or incorrect diet. Maybe you could make an annomous call on his behalf. I did this with a guy that collected brown snakes and RBBS direct from the wild. Not fun but worth it!

tell his father not to be a fool and that he can get his beloved spotted taken away from him
Arn't parents meant to set a good example.
My dad belted me quite literally when i 7 because i found a blue tongue and kept it in my room in a shoe box.

not saying that you go over there and belt his kids or tell him too, but i never did anything like that again hahah
But surely the parents would say something
I mean PIZZA and SAUSAGES and OTHER THINGS :|
That cant be right.

Tell him he won't be able to sell any without the appropriate paperwork. No one will buy unregistered water dragons.
Can you talk to his dad and politely enlighten him that spotted python and water dragon are different?

If you go over there and have a talk with him about it, then you have lost your chance to report him without them knowing it was you or your nephew. Because if you go over there and they don't let them go then, they will know it was you.

Explain to your nephew that they must be reported and it must be done and if his friend cant accept that and continues to be cruel (the bottom line thats what it is) He's not a good friend because hes abusing our native wild life.

Alot of people struggle to have children. they dont just go steal someones!..this is wrong cruel and illegal.if you are friends with his dad explain the problem and tell him bye bye to his python if hes caught with natural wildlife in his house cos of his dumb *** son.. maybe that will inspire him?..tough spot to be in..

l would report him if l was you and especially if you and your son both feel very concern about how they are feeding and looking after the Bearded Dragon's, its illegal to take any Australian reptile from the wild without a permit, l myself have reported a few peoiple over the years since early 1995, cause l was more concern about the health and welfare of the reptile's, but it was something l had to do at the time.

Hey all,
also feeding them sausage and pizza among other things
Watta ledgend - who really cares - sounds like the kid is just being competitive as what kids do. Id stay out of it altogether, let him learn on his own, or leave it to his parents if problems arise..
I think your trying to get emotional when theres really no need, about collecting snakes from wild, lots of people do it illegally... cant be helped..

Tell him he won't be able to sell any without the appropriate paperwork. No one will buy unregistered water dragons.
Can you talk to his dad and politely enlighten him that spotted python and water dragon are different?

people DO buy illegal animals - corns boa's etc. and this thread is why
DOB THEM IN, your nefew is better off not having anything to do with these people, friends or not

watta ledgend - who really cares - sounds like the kid is just being competitive as what kids do. Id stay out of it altogether, let him learn on his own, or leave it to his parents if problems arise..
I think your trying to get emotional when theres really no need, about collecting snakes from wild, lots of people do it illegally... Cant be helped..

you are a tool, grow up.

Tell the police and DEH (or whatever it is in your state)

Get the RSPCA involved, make sure they're up on animal cruelty charges instead of just illegally taking animals from the wild.

I don't know the kids dad,
only of him.
I told my nephew to keep his head down and his mouth shut if the kid won't listen and do the right thing, and not to worry as karma (and eco-access) will sort it out soon.
thanks for the majority of your opinions people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back