Ackie Enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbowers

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am considering getting a small monitor, perhaps an ackie. I currently have a 4x2x1.5(slightly shorter in height).

I've been reading that they need nearly a foot of dirt/sand for burrowing, but seeing some pictures of enclosures, that seems a little ridiculous compared to the 3-10 cm im seeing in most. I don't intend to breed or anything. Do you really need super deep sand for them to burrow, because it seems like most people don't do that...?

If you do, what other monitors would you recommend that could work in this enclosure? I was thinking maybe Storrs? Or pygmy? They seem similar, so which one is generally easier to find?

Sorry about all the questions!!

Cheers,
James

no you dont need deep sand, however many people place containers with a dampish sand in so they can dig and burrow. The damp sand also helps with sloughing, that size of enclosure will handle a couple of RTM no problems, RTM's are easier to find and a a perfect first monitor

Sorry, but what is sloughing?

Would it be viable to have an area where the dirt gets a little higher towards one corner of the enclosure? Also, what kind of sand/dirt would people recommend. If possible, I'd like to get some that's desert red coloured, that stuff looks awesome :D

Sorry, but what is sloughing?

Would it be viable to have an area where the dirt gets a little higher towards one corner of the enclosure? Also, what kind of sand/dirt would people recommend. If possible, I'd like to get some that's desert red coloured, that stuff looks awesome :D
Sloughing means shedding the skin.

You can pile the sand up if you wish but they will just walk all over it and flatten it out eventually.. don't get red sand as it stains everything including the lizards, which makes them a horrid dusty red all over instead of their normal colours. Buy washed play sand from Bunnings it is great.

Damn. Ok cool, will do that.

Anyone wanna buy a beardie? hahaha!

Sorry, one more thing. I'd like to have a pair of adults if possible, but don't want to breed them. Is it best to find a pair that are already together, or just get 2 females seperately? I'm guessing like most lizards, 2 males could cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back