Ackie temps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to phrase this but.....
My ackies (which I am totally new to) did not come out and bask today, it was very cold for the region with temps not getting over 23C inside. Night time temps are around 18-20C and I am currently supplying no night heat. I have them in an open top cage, so bringing ambient temps up is nigh on impossible, although the basking spot is around 40-45C. Is it normal, or OK for them to not come out and bask or should I change their caging so I can control ambient temps better? Or would a ceramic at night be a good option?

Obviously having experience of these particular Ackies I can tell you that they didn't always come out to bask even if the temps were right up. You could even try bumping the temp up a little, these things thrive on very high temperatures although 45 seems fine.
They don't need any nightime heat, they have ever had it in the time I had them. Is there any way of putting a top on the cage to get the temps up a bit ?

I'm gettin gsome ackies in a day or so, is it better to give them a heat lamp or a rock for them to heat up on?

Yeah I agree with boa maybe get a lid on it to keep the heat in.
They might also be a little less active because they can sense the winter change.
Magpie how old are they, and how long have you had them?

Adults, only a few weeks.
They've been out for a few hours a day again the last couple of days.

I just kept them hot all the time, i did not drop the temps at night myself, but at this time of year night temps will drop slightly anyway, i just ran basking lights 24hrs a day.

When I had the ones Magpie now has they had high temps during the day and no heat at all at night.
They would never get high night time temps in the wild.

I also agree with boa, my ackies only come out for an hour so a day now, if they come out at all, as they have a shortened photoperiod and only have access to heat for a limited time unlike in summer. My hotspot in summer usually gets around 55deg C and even though nothing changes other than the ambient temps in winter the hotspot only gets to around 45deg C. Seems to be ideal for cooling them for breeding.

I have mine with day bask only. I have the timer set 0700 - 1900. I also have a piece of slate in the basking area so when the light is off there is still some heat coming off the slab. Room temp drops to approx 17 degrees at 4-5 am

I have not had any probs thus far with this and they appear to be mating fine. I use this method with both Ackies & Gilleni

Seing as this thread now has some interest :)
I have a female ackie who is possibly gravid (she may just be fat).
Laying area... is it OK to have it down the cool end or is she likely to hold onto the eggs?
Obviously under the basking spot would be no good, but i could put a box of soil ner the basking area and try and get it to sit around 30C (cool end is around 22C)

I forgot to add that around July I shorten the photo period and have the timer set 0800 - 1700. I don't know if I will have to do that this season though as she seems to be adding quite a nice size to her. She is almost twice as wide as my male.

I usually use a click clack container, whole cut in it for entry obviously :wink: , and add a mixture of moist sand, perlite, spagnum and peat moss, then put the lid on and place it approx 2/3 down the tank from the heat. This gives me temps of approx 27degrees in click clack with a nice humidty (haven't measured that yet, this season).

That's my method that seem to work. Hope it helps you out with some ideas Magpie

I do pretty much the same as glimmerman, I have the lay box in the middle of the enclosure but slightly more so to the cool end. It also helps if your female ackie reads "Where To Lay My Eggs", by Ranus Ackenthurus ;-) , it's a great read for your girls as it lets them know not to lay their eggs near the ozbright. :-( :D:D

I keep my Akies with 24/7 basking & 12 photo period all year round.
They breed like rabbits one female gave me 65 eggs in 1 year.
She multi clutched the whole year even giving me 18 eggs at one clutch.
I put the egg laying box at 29 to 31% or she may lay them near the heat source.
Basking spot can be as high as 50 to 65%.
They seem to bask for a few mins the run around do there thing then bask again.
My Ackies are very active most of the day.
Im cooling them at the moment as I dont want to burn out the females by breeding to much to continuesly.

Hope this helps,
Jason

those are some beautiful lizards they were a type i was looking at getting
would you be able to give me a few tips???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back