Ackies Vs Storrs - Pros & Cons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigblackdog

Reaction score
This will be my 1st foray into the world of monitors, and I basically want the opinions of experienced keepers & breeders of these species, about the 2 above monitors please.

Is either animal 'better' to keep for any particular reason?
Does either animal have any special requirements which make it harder to look after? (I'm in Brisbane, so not too cold to start with) :wink:

The monitors will be kept indoors in a 4' tank & I want a male & female to cohabitate, start dating, either: (a) Get drunk & have casual sex, or (b) Decide to start a family & then lay the eggs for said indiscretion/family.

Any particular time of the year the best time to get hatchies?

Any other thoughts, opinions, weblinks etc on this?

Thanks.

AntaresiaLady said:
LOL Blackdog- Good Luck!
ahem!
Firstly, it's BIGblackdog. (I believe there's actually a 'Blackdog' on the forums as well).

Secondly, care to elaborate on your post?
I'm starting to worry :wink:

I thought your comment was hilarious:
BIGBlackDog said:
I want a male & female to cohabitate, start dating, either: (a) Get drunk & have casual sex, or (b) Decide to start a family & then lay the eggs for said indiscretion/family.

You made me giggle out loud.

Sorry for the shortening of your nick- its a long one like mine and I was being lazy. :p

And I said 'Good Luck' meaning 'Good Luck' with your monitors, and getting some information....perfectly innocent. No innuendo on that one.

Cheers! ;)

i know we've discussed this BBD, but i thought i'd post it for others.

i'd say ackies are easier to breed, but can be prone to aggression among the ranks.
i'd say storr's are a great all round monitor, but don't share the ease of breeding. (the ackies seem to be more tolerant to "less than perfect" breeding conditions)

few other points,
-ackies get slightly larger, allowing easier handling.
-both share lots of personality
-both are easy to feed

azz

no, I was unsuccessful in breeding my storri steve/naomi.

though i know a couple of people that have, they said they found it fairly easy, though a few of my mates have also had no success. i've found thst as long as your ackie pair don't eat each-other first, most pairs breed with minimum effort. i rarely hear of trouble breeders among acks.

I prefer ackies myself, fairly easy to breed given the right conditons and plenty of food. The only problem I have is getting the female to read the book "Where to lay your eggs", if she did this I would have alot more baby ackies...LOL
I find they tame quite easily when they are adults and can be easily handled, although I prefer to leave mine alone. They can get to around 70cms as adults depending on locality, mine are Mt ISa form and are fully grown at 50cms TL. Make sure they have a nice hotspot of around 50deg C or more as they love the heat. Make sure they have places to hide and areas for them to dig and "explore" as they can be highly active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back