Ackies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Before jumping straight to the pics please take the time to read :)

So I have a male ackie who is about 4yrs now and have been searching for a female for a long time.
Today i finally went out and got some more, thanks very much to Chris Humfrey from the 'Zoo comes to you' program, if your readingthis Chris, your wildlife park is bloody incredible, from Owls topenguins to reptiles to emus you name it this bloke has it, was a cool experience!

So i bought a Trio of them, there was a pair and an excess female with 3 legs that i named tripod, original huh..?
He told me she is most likely gravid and im thinking she is, (someone can back me up) the trio are kept together. I tried getting some pics of her, but its easy to tell in person that her belly size is huge compared to the rest.
I am keeping my boy separate to this trio, he will probably remain a virgin for life.. :(

I have a 4ft setup for them and have moved my male to the bath tub i quickly setup, i am building a 6ft this weekend and moving the trio in there and the male back to his4ft.
I have a lay site setup for the girl, tell me what you think.

Ackies are amazing monitors, cant wait to have eggs. Here some pics!

IMG_0595.jpgIMG_0596.jpgThe bath i setup.IMG_0594.jpgThe lay siteIMG_0598.jpgIMG_0602.jpgFemale thats gravid is the one in the middle,IMG_0593.jpgI really like the males face markings

Love the bath set up, either you're single or your partner is away on holiday!

He told me she is most likely gravid and im thinking she is, (someone can back me up) the trio are kept together. I tried getting some pics of her, but its easy to tell in person that her belly size is huge compared to the rest.

It's hard to confirm from that photo James, well for me anyway. Did the previous owner see them mating? If so how long ago? She could just eat more than the other female.

For a nest box I would mix some peat moss etc (I used Kritters Krumble) with some red sand, get a nice slightly moist consistency without it being wet or soggy. That way (if she is pregnant) she can dig down into the tub & it won't all cave in around her. The sand will also need to be warm, about 30C at the bottom. Put a lid on the tub, cut a hole in the top & fill it right to the top so she has to dig just to get in there. You might need a bigger tub too. I put a small heat mat under my nest boxes. If you search you'll get many differing opinions on this, heaps of info on this forum, just have a look.

It's hard to confirm from that photo James, well for me anyway. Did the previous owner see them mating? If so how long ago? She could just eat more than the other female.

For a nest box I would mix some peat moss etc (I used Kritters Krumble) with some red sand, get a nice slightly moist consistency without it being wet or soggy. That way (if she is pregnant) she can dig down into the tub & it won't all cave in around her. The sand will also need to be warm, about 30C at the bottom. Put a lid on the tub, cut a hole in the top & fill it right to the top so she has to dig just to get in there. You might need a bigger tub too. I put a small heat mat under my nest boxes. If you search you'll get many differing opinions on this, heaps of info on this forum, just have a look.

Cheers,
thats how i was told to setup the box, but when i get the 6ft done will have a bigger box with deeper substrate.
He said they've been at it all week and he has been keeping them together, he also mentioned that the weight is not from eating lots, she has the fat, puffy-gravid type look.. i just cant tell very well.
He's used sphagnum moss for lay sites in the past so will stick with it, she may just dig into a corner and back in, lay then burry, not having to dig a tunnel.

Appreciate the feedback!

Love the bath setup!!!!!! lol, fantastic idea. Love the monitors too. I have a female (picking up another female on Friday HOORAY) It will be very exciting if you get eggs. Fingers crossed all goes according to plan! :)

Is something like this better Chris?IMG_0623.jpgIMG_0622.jpg

The tub is a better size for a nest box James, I just have no experience using that method of sphagnum moss as the nesting substrate, maybe someone else can comment? You need to ask yourself why would she lay in that tub instead of laying in the sand base, perhaps closer to the heat lamp where the sand would be warmer? She will pick the best area that suits her.

Yeah she has been scratching around all day.
I have all the wood ready for a 6ft enclosure this weekend, ill see if i can get a bigger tub with moist sand/peat to lay in. She only has 3 legs so isnt the best at digging, and the previous owner has informed me that sphagnum moss has worked best.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back