Adding images to posts help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A user wrote:
Mr.K's pic, i had to bring it down to 800 x 600 as that is the max pix size for this site....

Actually, it's only the Forums that have a limit on the size of the pic.

Thought I'd take advantage of this thread to pass on some newbie-type info re galleries. - It's ok - you're allowed to hijack in Chit Chat!

If you have an album created in the Photo Gallery, you can have up to 3MB per pic (which would be a bit cruel on the modem users!) and very large images! Also, if set up right, the gallery creates resized choices, so modem users can select slightly smaller pics and cable etc., users can look at the big ones.

You can then link to that picture in a post, using the "[ url ] cutANDpaste URL [ /URL]" method. For example :
http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This was done using [ URL ]http://www.aussiepythons.com/modules.php?set_albumName=lutzd&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php[ /URL ] - remove the spaces.

You can also link to an album image, rather than a specific page :
[ IMG ]Paste Image URL [ /IMG ] remove spaces
As you'll see by the following example, this photo is 968 x 930 - certainly over the limit in the forums! However, it's only 72K in size, so is easy for modem users to download too. That's the advantage of having a graphics editing package.

Example :
02210004b.jpg

You can get the path to the image to post in the [ IMG ] function by right-clicking on the required photo and selecting properties. Then cut and paste the address. Simple.

If you don't have a graphics package, XP lets you email a picture to yourself at a greatly reduced size! Alternatively, open your picture in Paint and save your picture as a JPEG (.JPG).

In your album, you can also play around with thumnail sizes, intermediate picture size, and so on. I suggest you upload a couple of pics to your album and then have a go at the properties of your album to see what can be achieved. When you have it right, then upload the rest.

Don't forget, you can also create sub-albums.

Once you have created a top-level album in Galleries, an admin will have to change the permissions to let you continue, so PM one of us and we'll fix it for you. Don't link to the album or photo in it until an admin has renamed your album correctly, or the link will no longer be valid! [Oh yeah - Barney, your album is set up and ready for you to add photos - sorted alphabetically.]

I've often wondered why more people don't link to albums, as once the postings stop on a thread, the photo vanishes in the mists of time .... or unread posts..... whereas the gallery is always on top...

Click the BBcode link under Options (on the left) when creating a post. This gives you lots of help on formatting your posts. PLEASE don't go overboard with fonts, colours and sizes though! You'll only annoy other members! However, these functions can help you emphasize text, etc., in a post when you waht to make a point.

Oh yeah - please don't go overboard with photos in the forum. MUCH better off posting it to your album and then linking to there, as then a user can decide whether he/she actually wants to use the bandwidth to look at it or not. Posting to the forums should only be with smaller sized photo to make a point or show something related to the forum topic - not as a photo gallery. For example, you have no doubt noticed how you have to scroll left and right to read this topic now. That's because I posted an image that was larger than the page size! Naughty me! That's why a link to the page that contains the photo is better than a direct link to the photo, in most cases.

Also have a search in the APS Site Forum, as there are lots of tips for newbies (and others) on galleries and other stuff.

... that's just a few pointers.. Use the help system and other links - it makes life easier. Hope that helps out a few newbies.

'Bout as long as you've been keeping those burmese pytho..... oops.... I wasn't supposed to say anything about that, was I? :oops: Sorry! :-( :oops: Nothing to see here, Mr Hardy! Move along folks, that's the way! :oops:

..... and the photos always look good when they are large photos - as long as they are in focus!! :)

Great pic. David I love the detail of eye. Thanks for explaining .

Thanks Lutzd, That is really helpful although some of it still seems Chinese to me. I will read it through a few times and then have a practice. Its good to see that ya spent obviously alot (3 days worth for me) of time to explain this to people such as myself who are relatively new or are just not as fluent when it comes to certain technologies hehe.

Fangks - Mr.K :)

I was bored so I decided to write a quick tutorial for attaching images to your posts, seeing as though this thread is sticky I figured it the best place for it. Just download the file (a .zip file) and extract the files, then open the HTML file in your web browser and you will be able to read the tutorial, hopefully it will help someone, it ain't nothing fancy just a few words and images.

Cheers.

PS, That is an amazing picture!!

Sorry about that, It was tested before uploading, something must have happened during the transfer (more reason to upgrade the site :)).

Anyway, you can grab it from here, if the site is down (which it frequently is), just try again later.

Cheers. :)

instar said:
awesome pic Dave! :D

Thanks! :oops: They always look good when you show them in a large format, and the way I work it is :

Take hundreds of photos - some of them are BOUND to turn out ok! ... particularly if you crop out the rubbish! ;-) (doncha luv digital??!)

I agree - are you saying that I need to open a gallery, wait for a great administrator to 'fix' it then how is it I get the pics in the thread?!?!
Sorry guys but some of us aren't too good with net type formatting.....

What really gets up my nose is gigantic photos that I have to scroll across the page to see some out-of-focus thing in the centre.

And giant file-sizes. Those of us on dial-up have to wait a few minutes if the file is more than 500MB. Keep those files sizes down!

:p

Hix

Since the upgrade to the new gallery software, it appears that you can't link to the photos there like you used to. :-( Very sad, if true., but probably not a lot we can do about it.

Further to that, I posted a query to the Gallery 2 web site and received the following response:

Posted: Sat, 2006-01-28 15:51
if you used g2 standalone with activated url rewrite module, urls would look much nicer, with .jpg etc.
since the postnuke integration isn't mature at all and doesn't support url rewrite yet, you can forget this option.

So, looks like we can't link to photos in the Gallery, at least for now. :-( You CAN link to the URL of the photos in the gallery as a [ url ]-type link and it will open in a new window. . Unfortunately embedding the image in the [ img ] command doesn't work.

A lot of people seem to use Photobucket.com. I haven't used it, so can't comment on their reliability or otherwise, but there are heaps of sites out there that will host photos. Whoever you use, first make sure that you can link to photos on their site without having to log in first.

We'll let you know if the situation changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back