Advice Needed on Cockatoo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck, Phil! You're doing the right thing by getting him out of his current living situation. Be aware - big birds = big responsibility!! They are very smart and, often, very destructive, but very very rewarding animals :) It's great to hear that you're and upcoming vet, as I'm sure you understand the responsibility that goes along with rescues.

As for the first couple of days, I would let the bird tell you how he's feeling and go along with that. If he immediately takes to you and your home, fantastic! If he's shy and unsure, I would do as you said... out him somewhere in the house that is quiet, but not isolated, and be patient. Spending time and reading with him etc is a great idea if he doesn't trust you straight away. And food is often a great incentive with bigger birds, and he will probably jump at the chance of some fruit and veggies if all he's been eating is seed, so use that to your advantage, encouraging him to come to you and take the food (gently! if he snatches or bites, don't give in! he's the victim, but you are in charge ;) ). Like most rescues, he probably needs love, patience, and some guidance into the right behaviours :)

I've got some experience in parrots and rescues, and I'm in Brissy, too, for the next two weeks, so feel free to PM me, and I know there are a couple more people on this site who are very experienced as well. Lone Pine and the other bird sanctuaries already mentioned would be great people to ask for advice, too.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks.

This morning I went to the pet shop and bought a bag of Roudybush, which is what I feed my conure. He will be getting that instead of seeds, and once he is weaned onto pellets I will try him with veggies and fruit and the odd nut etc.. hopefully he knows how to eat other food.. though they are clever, I'm sure he'll learn.

The bloke at the pet shop said if his cage is too small he will give me a discount on a cage as it is doing something nice for a bird, and he loves them. He also told me to bring him along when I get him so he can clip his wings for me and give me a hand.. I know peoples views on petshops in general but this guy is a wealth of info and very helpful.

It needs to be the biggest you can fit in and afford. Anything less is cutting corners at the detriment of the bird.
I agree the bigger the better... but I bolded the limiting factor.. Student without a job haha that cage, while awesome, is slightly out of my range.

I got the double cage from ebay and half of it was rusted :(.
cliveisonmonger.com.au try him.

That gt_mall looks the seller to go with... I'm not sure on the open topped cages.. It decreases pretty drastically what you can do with the top of the cage re: hanging toys, fruit kabobs etc.

That gt_mall looks the seller to go with... I'm not sure on the open topped cages.. It decreases pretty drastically what you can do with the top of the cage re: hanging toys, fruit kabobs etc.

As mentioned, I have one of those cages - I have permanently shut the 'roof' of the cage (screwed tight) as they are an injury risk moreso than loss of ability to use hanging toys, etc. Just because it opens doesnt mean you have to open it.... lol. :)

hey phil,we have a sulpher as well,we were given her because the person already had 2...i had a cage made for her...its 1m square by 6' H......made from 50ml sq mesh.....has 3 perches of thick branches,as they like to chew timber so much....a swivel feeder set up(1 for seed,1 for fresh food) a large water bowl...and has 2 doors .....not too sure on the males...but females like to chew,so we give her cardboard boxes to munch up...then every so often we get an egg :)......she doesnt fly much..we open the doors and she climbs out and walks around the patio lololol

brother in law :D :D :D....... i'll get some pics of it a bit later 4 you to look at.....i also had a drawer put in at the bottom to catch all seed and fresh food that she throws out

Yeah a photo would be great if you could! Post up some photos of your cocky too!

My dad used to have a cockatoo, the only thing i can remember from that is get carpet snake proof mesh on the avairy.

I had mine in a small avairy. 1.6m x 1.2 I think. He also came in the house alot too. I had it decked out with heaps for him to do, as they get bored very quickly, and when they do they screech.....very, very loudly. Nothing worse than a bored cocky!!

got that right babba......mumble grumble bitch moan.....noisy bloody thing.........ours cant fly real well,tho does sometimes...likes to come out of the cage and wander around on the ground and climb on things....dont let her inside tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back