Advice or recommendations when buying an Albino Darwin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdawgg910

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just after some advice while I am in the market for a female albino Darwin Carpet python hatchling.

In terms of advice I'm talking about patterns to look out for in a beautiful albino such as; more pink, more or less patterns, etc.

If any Darwin members know of female Albino Darwin's or other species Albino female Carpet python hatchlings please let me know. :)

Just for reference the 2 will have their own cages. I do plan on breeding them one day though. Inb4oneeatstheotherarguments.

Progeny from het to het matings are likely to contain better genetic diversity!

It depends on what you like. Dark pinks in young hatchlings will turn into white on adults. Orange and yellow are a bit harder to spot at an early age. The main thing is to get a youngster that is feeding well and from a breeder that will answer your questions. If feeding well, Darwins are very easy to keep and it is great fun watching the albinos colour up with each slough.

My male is a standard Darwin lighter in pigmentation than the others, but both parents must of been HET's as neither are albino, but 8 of the 12 were albino hatchlings!

I went back after 6 months to look at the albino female left, but I don't really want him to have sex with his sister... haha.

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated!

Try and go for patterns like this, this is my male albino, his only 4 months old

Attachments

• 13666984860631.jpg
    13666984860631.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 310
I would be more concerned in the reputation of the breeder, whether it feeds and the condition of it as far as looks no point being ripped off for the best looking hatchie that wont eat!!!

I would be more concerned in the reputation of the breeder, whether it feeds and the condition of it as far as looks no point being ripped off for the best looking hatchie that wont eat!!!
Don't worry about that. I'm very fussy. I've visited 3 breeders with Albino Darwin carpet's and I harassed them all for 1 hour each with questions about the parents, the python I was interested and the pythons that require force feeds.

I really want a lovely nice faded patterned one with very nice yellow highlights. :) Kind of like a classic Albino but with a faded pattern.

1 breeder has close descendants of Blondi and they're nice, but I don't want that alone to convince me to buy one from that clutch.

They all happened to be fed the day before or same day I visited, so couldn't handle them all. :(

All albino's are descendants of Blondie though?

Unless they come from the Phoenix line which none ever seems to have these days. Did it ever exist?

I have lots to learn. :/

Did what ever exist?

I also want a bright highlight yellow or banana yellow colour with the faded patterns. Don't really fancy the plain yellow alone. But since it's a $600+ snake I want the right snake.

There was the original albino that was found... Blondie. But then there was reportedly another found called White phoenix. I think the latter died in a fire or something.

Being a genetic trait and having only one main (I say ONE main as she was the first and I haven't found many phoenix albinos around) specimen in the beginning, its safe to say that all albino's carry Blondie's gene and hence are all from the Blondie line.

Can anyone shed some light to the Phoenix story? (Relevant to OP as being from the blondie line isn't a selling point, as they all are. I'd hate to pick one because it said that then find out it means nothing)

Very pretty!

At least tonight I finally know what I want in an albino! :)

Also, yes anyone with knowledge about albino Darwin's please shed some light. Sorry if this has been covered before, if so, feel free to link me.

After reading about Blondie and seeing these. I'm after one similar like this with the yellow highlights. And lighter, but not too faded pigmentation/complexion.

LAlb3head.jpg

LAlb3body.jpg

and not like this.
LAlb1head.jpg

Cheers SothernXReptiles!
Untitled Document

:)

There was the original albino that was found... Blondie. But then there was reportedly another found called White phoenix. I think the latter died in a fire or something.

Being a genetic trait and having only one main (I say ONE main as she was the first and I haven't found many phoenix albinos around) specimen in the beginning, its safe to say that all albino's carry Blondie's gene and hence are all from the Blondie line.

Can anyone shed some light to the Phoenix story? (Relevant to OP as being from the blondie line isn't a selling point, as they all are. I'd hate to pick one because it said that then find out it means nothing)
Blondie was found in Darwin about 10 yeras ago. White Pheonix was found in Adelaide River, about 50 kilometers from Darwin, about the same time. White Pheonix was a male and died after inhaling fumes from a fire , after siring his first crop of hets. I have seen White Phoenix in a freezer about 7 years ago. Unfortunately the White Pheonix project was stapped for cash so progress was slow. Both lines look much the same and so now breeders dont distinguish between the two lines. Like lots of breeding projects the hope of throwing something special by crossing the two line drew a blank, but then again some keepers would say that any Albino is special.I am sur if you use the serch function you could retrieve some of the old facts.

After reading about Blondie and seeing these. I'm after one similar like this with the yellow highlights. And lighter, but not too faded pigmentation/complexion.

LAlb3head.jpg

LAlb3body.jpg

and not like this.
LAlb1head.jpg

Cheers SothernXReptiles!
Untitled Document

:)
The colours shown above will be very hard to spot in a hatchling. If you are certain that you want a more lavender look, you really should buy a yearling. It may cost a bit more, but then you will be more certain of the subtleties of the colouring. You also need to have a look in full sunlight. The lighter patterns do not show up well in flourescent light, particularly if it is the 'warm' globe colour. My male albino has very high contrast patterns which look quite ordinary in indoor lighting, but when I walk outside with him, people are stunned by the difference. My female (in my signature) has more of the pink and lavender colours, but these do not necessarily show up in photos.

As far as the Blondie and White Phoenix lines are concerned, the albino mutation appears to be the same, based on cross-breeding that has occurred. I own Blondie line from SXR and a friend owns some White Phoenix animals. They look basically the same, given the variability in pattern and colour within the Darwins. One of my favourite things about the Blondie line animals I own is their calm and inquisitive temperament. They are a pleasure to own and handle, easy to care for and just a great snake to keep. Warning - they are addictive!

As far as the Blondie and White Phoenix lines are concerned, the albino mutation appears to be the same, based on cross-breeding that has occurred. I own Blondie line from SXR and a friend owns some White Phoenix animals. They look basically the same, given the variability in pattern and colour within the Darwins. One of my favourite things about the Blondie line animals I own is their calm and inquisitive temperament. They are a pleasure to own and handle, easy to care for and just a great snake to keep. Warning - they are addictive!

That's interesting. Obviously not conclusive, but have you observed that the calm temperament is typical of Blondie and not Phoenix?

I haven't seen enough White Phoenix animals to make any sort of reasonable conclusion. The ones my friend owns are nice and mellow. There will be the occasional mongrel anywhere, but the albino Darwins seem to generally have a great temperament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back