advice please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Totally new to this and i could really do with a bit of info/advice, about 2 weeks ago i started having a little visitor sitting on my ensuite shower mat,so i put him back in the garden and every few nights he'd be there again which is on my top floor 3 storeys up so i'd put him out again and he'd be back a few days later..wha i'd like to know is what type of python is he i have a 95% feeling he is a spotted python?? and we have plenty around this way (which is in the Whitsundays-North Qld) i have never thought about having a snake but ive come attached to this little bugger and it feels like he picked me and it is meant to be.so i sent away for my permit the other day and drove for 5hrs today to pick up some heat mats a good size home and a reptile light and pinkies..Now what i'd also like to know because the girls in the petshop arent experienced with snakes is how many pinkies should i feed him a week can i give him 1 and then maybe in a few nights another one so hes not hunting everynight and becoming dissapointed when theres nothing there..and how long before i can handle him after he has fed hours?days? its around 27degrees celcius here most days and the humidity is around 75% at the moment does this mean i dont need to run the floor heater?? ive got heaps of other questions but dont want to bore you guys just yet.will try to send a photo of the little bugger now thankyou.

Hey Hunter,

Not sure about Queensland, but i assume it would be the same as in the NT. Very strict laws about obtaining specimens from the wild.
Maybe someone older and wiser (at herping) could help you out with more info.

Hate to say it mate but you can't keep him if he's from the wild. Simple as that. Unless you have some really special reason for keeping him you wont be able to get a permit to keep it. Unfortunately he needs to be returned to the garden.

Looks like a spotted to me, as andrew has said its almost impossible to get a permit to keep wild snakes unless its for research. But you should be able to pick up a captive spotted for about $150 if you look around they are very cheap.

What a little cutie !

The bad news is: You can't legally keep a wild snake.

The good news is: You came to the right place for advice on how to keep one that you legally purchased. :)

Feeding is dependent on you. A pinky rat every five or so days will do as a starter, then you can increase the size of the rat
and the time between feeds as it grows.

A smaller container is better for these little blighters at first, but if you use a larger cage, then make sure there are plenty of
hides and ground cover for it to sneak about through.

A heat mat under the floor of about 25% of the cage is a good idea, to bring the floor temp (over the mat only) up to between 30-32C.
This enables the snake to sit on the warm spot after eating and aids digestion.

Handling for a couple of days after a feed is not recommended. It can cause discomfort and stress and may make a little snake
regurgitate it's dinner.

:)

Just out of interest guys, i am reading a book at the moment that suggests that taking animals from the wild is permitted
(almost freely) in Tassie. I was shocked to read this, so i thought the book might be out of date, either that or i cant read properly.
Is this legal in any state or territory?

tassie

Yes- with a basic licence, which is nothing more than just an application, you can collect most Herps on the island, but you can't sell them, buy them, or import anything like pythons. The only snakes in Tassie are copperheads, tiger snakes and the white lipped snake, so snake keeping isn't too promising. Only one type of dragon (heath dragon) and one blue tongue (spotted), and a couple of decent sized skinks. Bummer........

I'm told they are looking at changing the rules though.

Thanks for your info guys,
I'll put him outside tomorrow and see what happens if he comes back that will be the 7th time ive done it and i'll have a chat to the authorities about it, since he's sort of turned into my little mate and would hate to see anything happen to him..

interesting bobthefish, i agree that it sounds like a bit of a bummer though.

Good luck with the spotted python hunter, i hope it all works out and you can get yourself one that you can keep mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back