Africa herps and others...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy_07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well, two days sitting at home with an ear infection has provided me lots of time for some old photos... I must be in the mood for sharing!

Really sorry about the quality of these pics - this was well before I actually knew what to do with a camera ;)

Reptile & Rehabilitation centre - South Africa
Puff adder
untitled0062.jpg

untitled006.jpg

untitled034.jpg

Gaboon viper
untitled029.jpg

Black mamba
untitled006-1.jpg

untitled011.jpg

Green mamba
untitled012.jpg

untitled032.jpg

untitled018.jpg

untitled016.jpg

untitled026.jpg

untitled008.jpg

untitled013.jpg

untitled035.jpg

untitled024.jpg

untitled0061.jpg

untitled030.jpg

untitled033.jpg

untitled036.jpg

untitled010.jpg

untitled023.jpg

untitled019.jpg

untitled015.jpg

Rhino baby footprint in riverbed
untitled017.jpg

Lion footprint in riverbed
untitled021.jpg

Reclaimed "pet" leopard - unable to be rehabilitated
untitled037.jpg

Reclaimed "pet" hyena
untitled009.jpg

Sunset
untitled007.jpg

untitled028.jpg

Pet cheetah's captive-bred cubs
untitled025.jpg

very nice, lovin that gaboon viper and green mamba.

definately want to get over there to see some big cats!

cheetahs are supposed to be like a dog if there raised like a pet?

Wicked pics, thanks for sharing. That Gaboon Viper sure is something special - never seen one before. Love the chameleon too, and the birds, and the cats, and... well, they're all excellent! Cheers,
Nic

cheetahs are supposed to be like a dog if there raised like a pet?

Hi gig, yes, cheetahs can make good pets in the right circumstance. The guy running this rehab centre had had his girl for 8 years from memory. She had grown up in the house, he had taught her to hunt and ankle tap, and she has a large fenced area that she lives in most of the time inside the centre. He also owns a lot of surrounding bushland, so every few days they'd release an antelope and let her hunting for herself. They found her to be just as good a hunter in thicket and bush as her wild counterparts are on open plains. They have bred her several times and released her cubs into other NPs.

Leopards are similar - they are tamed easily, and can make good pets. HOWEVER, almost no one is able to provide the responsible care for large cats in captivity, even if they are "tame". So, the problem becomes the large number of cheetahs, leopards, other big cats that are raised in a household, grow up, and can't be rehabilitated to live in the wild again. And then what? Every conservation park I visited (about 15) had big cats that would never be re-released because they were to used to urbanisation and humans. It was sad. On the other hand, I got to pat a leopard, and it didn't eat me :D

awww those cheetahs are adorable!! and lol @ dress code. these pics are stunning and nothing wrong with the quality to me! :)

blue: The hyena was lovely - they are the weirdest creature you've ever seen. Half dog, half cat. Sooo affectionate. He would have sat in your lap for hours :)

Mmmmm short shorts :lol: And, yeah, you could have eaten those little cheetahs, they were gorgeous - but fiesty! To be rereleased in a Zimbabwe park later down the track.

Thanks, oreo!

They are some really nice animals! Nice snaps, especially the non-herp variety. I think I best start saving, to get some of these photo's for myself :)

Hi there!

Could you pm me the name of the park and toher worthwhile volunteer projects in South Africa please! I am planning a trip to hoedspruit and would love to hear from someone who has been!

Cheers
Jess

The shiny blue colour on that bird (dont know what its called) is incredible!

Hi, Jess

The name of the park was Moholoholo Rehabilitation Park (or something similar). I think it would be about an hour from Hoedspruit airport or maybe a bit more.

I'm not too sure what to tell you about volunteer programs - I was there with a conservation study through uni, and the other volunteer work I've done in Africa was not in SA. Look for NGOs based in the area that are organised and at least moderately funded, and preferably have some English-speaking staff working within their projects.

Good luck!

K

Megzz- it's just a starling! But they are amazing if you can get up close and they're sitting in the sun ;) We have them in Oz, as well!

Thanks for sharing Kristy. Nothing to apologise about with them shots, that is some really nice photography you have there.

My fav would have to be the Green Mamba, man I've seen some bright green before on a number of reptiles, but that one is the greenest of green I've ever seen...stunning!

Interesting pics got to love the viper and mamba what a buetiful snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back