Aggressive snake - tips and ideas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam1501

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm sure this topic has probably been covered before but I haven't found it as yet but I have been asked to look after a coastal python about 12 months old for a mate of mine for a period of time until he gets import licenses etc and to get it out of pet shop. The problem is this coastal is extremely aggressive as it the pet shop has not handled it or really gone near it other than what was necessary for about 6 months.
It starts coiling up ready to strike as you walk past the enclosure and as soon as you put your hand on the glass it starts striking.
Both my mate and I would hopefully like to calm it down a bit, so I am just looking for any tips or ideas that anyone might have to help me out with this process.
Thanks in advance :)

i like longqi's idea from another thread put your hand in a pillow case and scoop it up turn the bag inside out and you have it bagged up. been using it for one of my coastals that a little over 2 yrs. and hes not nasty just very flighty and it makes the whole cleaning ordeal so much nicer for both of us!

i wear a glove and just pick it up and hold them for like 15 mins a couple times every week and they should eventually calm down and get used to being handled and you will be able to remove the glove over time

If it's been in a pet shop with high traffic walking past it all the time - maybe it's stressed to it's eyeballs??

Maybe once he gets it he can literally put it into it's new enclosure, leave it for 2 weeks (only checking to replace water 2-3 times in that period) and checking to see if there are any messes to clean up (and by this I mean get in, get out, no fussing of any kind) and maybe feed it after 2 weeks, then leave it for another week, feed it again, leave it for a week, then attempt to remove the cover.

Just what I would do. Mightn't be right - but I think a "no contact" approach, just to let it settle..... Might give you a shot.

Least it will let it calm down and be happily fed - to remove the stress and food possibility as reasons for it's aggression.

Good luck.

Just one thought, how many hides do you have in the enclosure?! I have 3 in mine, one at the hot end, one in the middle and one in the cool end. Is the enclosure in a high traffic area?! as it was from a pet shop id say it may of been stressed out with all the ppl walking past all the time. If you put it some where that gets very little traffic past it or even cover the enclosure to help it settle in this may help! Good luck with it all tho!!! :)

oh as said above!! hahaha! beat me 2 it!!!:lol:

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the advice. Pet shop it was sorta mid range traffic where it was but stress could definately be the main issue as I noticed when I picked it up there was very little in the way of a hide in there. I have it in with one of my other coastal pythons and there seems to be no hassles between the two of them at all. Other than mine seeming to get a little shirty when the new one gets aggressive towards me but to stand back and view there is no dramas.
Due to the fact of having the 2 together I now have 5 hides in enclosure. 2 at hot end, 2 at cold end and a long one that runs from one end to other although neither of them use any.
Enclosure is in between lounge and dining rooms so moderate traffic past but not within about 6 feet.
My plan is/was to let it get used to new surroundings and us for couple weeks and only go in there to water, feed and clean but also let it get used to my coastal and hopefully pick up some traits from him type thing. It is looking a little thin so over this time wanted to feed it up a bit as well to remove any feed issues and then start to handle with a glove or something a 3 - 4 times a week for 5 - 10 mins each time to get it used to being handled.

Its a bit late now but you should learn a bit about quarantine
Thats where you keep new animals separated from older ones until you know they are healthy

Make sure you take your coastal out of the enclosure now to feed it
If you feed them together you are really asking for problems

I say take yours out because removing the other one to feed might put it off its tucker

It was in quarantine at shop for a fortnight before me picking it up and I have had it thoroughly checked out from another breeder I was put onto and assured it would be fine to house the 2 together.
All I was asking for was everyone's different ideas on handling and hopefully calming it down a little.
I had already planned on seperating them for feeding and all 5 of my other pythons are removed from enclosures for feeding purposes as I generally clean any waste at same time.
All my other snakes are and always have been relaxed and calm. None of them have ever shown aggression nor struck out at me or my partner and kids so I have never had to deal with this issue before.

I disagree with the "leave it alone" brigade, but I don't encourage excessive handling either.
I've found the BEST way, is to have a glass enclosure (or glass fronted at least), in the most trafficked place in the house, where ever there is the most action, that's where you have your enclosure.

for me, it's in the computer room, that way the snake(s) see you very often (if not all the time) and they calm down rather quickly, we have a jungle that was rather aggressive, within a month, he's calmed right down, he no longer strikes the glass, in fact he doesn't give a stuff what's happening until you get him out, he's still a bit flighty with handling, but that too is getting better every week.

they just work out that you're not out to eat them and they're fine ;)

That's what I'm starting to think lol. I'm thinking this one will always probably bite but yeah a bit less than what it tries to at the moment would be good otherwise I'll end up having the appearance of tenderized meat lol

Thanks recharge, that was my theory behind putting it where it is and it's pretty well how it is with all my enclosures. My way of thinking with this one is it has plenty of opportunity to hide while also getting used to the common sights and scents right from the start.
What would you suggest as far as handling goes?

Last edited:
OK cool about quarantine although most people do prefer a longer period

New snake is scared stiff so you have to get it to trust you
Avoid touching it with your hands
Use a pillowcase or something similar
just slide under it and gently pick it up

Because no sweaty skin is touching it it wont get as frightened
just let it sit on the cloth for as long as it takes
eventually it will understand there is no danger from the cloth and sniff around a bit
dont touch it
just let it play and get used to you then back in the viv

after a day or two it will get braver and start crawling over you
same thing
dont grab it
just sit there let it learn you are no danger

Yeah understand what you mean just yeah never had anything like this.
As far as getting it out with pillow case/cloth etc how would you go about actually getting it on there to bring it out?
I've always used a hook with my others rather than reaching straight into enclosures so would you use same approach to get it onto whatever to bring it out or would you actually put it inside pillow case, bring it out and then open top and give it a chance to sniff around etc?

Imagine you are scared and a cold metal thing grabs you??

We do the turn bag inside inside out thing with wild snakes as we dont want to touch them if possible to avoid stressing them out too much

With handling snakes we keep its slightly different
We put our hand inside the pillowcase
then slip hand under the snake and lift gently
very seldom have any dramas
If they have a hissy fit and strike at the bag its ok
just let them strike because they only hit cloth
just do it again and they they understand the cloth is not dangerous fairly quickly

soon they associate the bag with OK Im getting handled but Im safe

handling? well, that's really up to you and how you wish to interact with your animal, some like to do a lot of handling, some minimal, it really has to come down to the owner, me? I rarely handle mine, but that's really due to being lazy haha, and they don't seem to mind either way really, at least it doesn't seem to effect their health (compare well handled display animals, they don't seem to suffer any ill effects), so yea, trial by error and how you personally feel, if you have problems, alter what you're doing, basically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for all the help. I just was always taught to use a hook to at least let them know you're coming in so to speak rather than just barging straight in on their territory.
But like I say never had this issue before so will try your ideas and tips. Will let you know how I get on over time.
I realize it's all about patience and them getting used to us and not feeling threatened just yeah had no idea as to specific ways to achieve this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back