Agressive turtle behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdestiny

Reaction score
This afternoon I watched as an old male Eastern Long Neck became quite aggressive with a female long neck that had entered his pond. At first I thought maybe they were going to mate, but the male was chasing her, biting her on the foot and really holding on as she went all over the pond trying to get away. Eventually she got away and he would swim quickly after her again, sniffing the tail and biting whatever he could get hold of. This happened a few times but after the female had had enough of this, she quickly climbed out the pond, had a rest by the side of the pond and headed for another pond. Must have been a territorial thing.....
http://turtletownsydney.tripod.com/

Yeap I have 1 Male who is like that. He will chase the others out of the pond even out of the the water!

I guess just like people.. there are turtles that are just pr*cks!

My male short neck is the same towards the female.

They have both grown up together, brought at the smae time and they were both the same size

Now the female is bigger then the male bit she still cops a bounding from him.

Is there anything that can be done to help this out or is seperation the only answer.

They are in a small tank for their size and for 2 so I guess I need to move the idea of an outdoor pond to reality and get started

Hi
In your case a bigger tank sounds like it's necessary anyway, and may help the problem of aggression as they will have more room. However, as myself and Strange1 have experienced, such behaviour is possible even in a spacious pond.
Good luck.
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back