Ahg

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veredus

Reaction score
I was just wondering, is there anyone on here from NSW who breeds Asian House Geckoes for food?

i seem to remember someone saying there were 3 on the returns in 2005, not 100% sure on that.
If you are after frozen ones someone in qld might be able to help you out(maybe?).
I personally think it would be very irresponsible to keepo them alive anywhere outside their existing range, no need to speed up their domination of australian cities.

Even though there is a large population here in Aust, being an exotic I would think it would be illegal to keep them either as pets or food.

Even though there is a large population here in Aust, being an exotic I would think it would be illegal to keep them either as pets or food.

In Qld its not illegal and some are on licence in NSW(i think). I believe that they have been up north for hundreds of years so they are almost considered 'native' in some places.

THey are on the NSW species list so they are legal, I was just curious about the issue as I saw Horsy's thread about her new pet gecko.

Hopefully you aren't thinking of buying them for food are you?

I don't think it would be viable to breed them for food. Would they be for something like a Burtons ? It would take a long time to get them up to a useable size.

They are everywhere up here in north qld, My two year old daughter loves them as they are always running across the walls, I even on occasion see a native australian house gecko although not very often. , I don't mind them as their principal food items are small insects and less mosquitos are only a good thing around here.
But they would make a good prey item and they are abundant where they are found.

Our house is full of them and they breed in large numbers in my reptile shed, they actually share out place with quite few large Velvet geckos.

I've only seen a couple around where I live, not many at all. I might wander back to the pet shop and see if I can find another AHG for Cujo's company. Not sure if you're allowed to catch wild ones here.

I've only seen a couple around where I live, not many at all. I might wander back to the pet shop and see if I can find another AHG for Cujo's company. Not sure if you're allowed to catch wild ones here.

You can catch them if you want, they are pretty quick but with practice they are fairly easy to get.

I think in some areas like where i am they are actually more good than bad in some ways, as they provide food for alot of animals and there are no native geckos in my area for them to displace.

Oh yay. Hopefully I don't end up with two males though. Haha. I didn't want to disturb Cujo on his first night by stuffing around with his undergarmets. I heard only males call and he called a few times. I'm really glad he's a male. He's tucked away in his hidebox now. I might go out and have a look for some AHGs later on, any recommended places they are likely to be during the day?

I don't think it would be viable to breed them for food. Would they be for something like a Burtons ? It would take a long time to get them up to a useable size.

I spoke to a guy in the US who breeds them as food for his burtons and other lizard eating species. He does have a huge collection of geckos though so it is fairly easy for to just breed a and grow a few more.

Oh yay. Hopefully I don't end up with two males though. Haha. I didn't want to disturb Cujo on his first night by stuffing around with his undergarmets. I heard only males call and he called a few times. I'm really glad he's a male. He's tucked away in his hidebox now. I might go out and have a look for some AHGs later on, any recommended places they are likely to be during the day?

Hiding anywhere in small gaps often where you cant get them. Night time is the easiet time to get them just look around outdoor lights, shining a torch on them can make them easier to catch but apart from that its mainly just about being really fast, still they are easier to catch than flies.

Yeah I will tonight. He needs a friend. He seems happy and healthy, though sleeping right now, he ate alot and I can see some droppings on his branch. Thinking of adding a few more things for him to climb on.

No. Not really interested.
Anyway, I just went outside and found bark shaped like half of a log and put that in the tank so he's got another little hide to crawl under. It's like a tunnel. And a few more leaves and another stick. He'll wake up and be in heaven. Haha

Haha. Yeah that's exactly why. God. No. Because I don't care about the beach board anymore. I have my gecko and have been busy building him the perfect little house and finding out as much as I can from people on here who have firsthand experience with geckos.

Sorry to re-change the thread back to house geckoes - but this is what i have heard...

Many contain parasites (which was what warned me away from using wild ones) - on saying that... If you could deparasitise them and breed them... and feed them etc... I would think the best way to do it would be using an outside tank with big enough holes in the roof for insects to get through, a light in the tank to attract the insects and just let them go for it... Could be self sufficient.

But the only thing they ,ight be good for is a snack.. they're not very big... Maybe good for hatchlings???

But lastly... can you stand the noise... that gnack gnack gnaaaaark noise... how does something so small make such a ghastly noise???

Tell me how ya go if you do chose to use them as a food source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back