Ajolote

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffHardy

Reaction score
Has anyone got a good picture of an Ajolote and some info on these weird animals.

There was a reference to a pic in a topic on this site about 12 months ago under "unexplained mysteries", but that page no longer exists.

re ajolote

:D Heaps here jeff the creeks choc a bloc with ajjys :D

Hi Jeff,
The name ajolote is given to both a lizard and members of the mexican ambystomid species. Which do you mean? I own the salamander type and have photos which I can post. I have raised the question on other forums regarding this legal anomaly in regard to it being an exotic fish in its juvenile form (axolotyl) and sold in most pet shops, but once morphed into a salamander does it become an illegal exotic amphibian??. Some pet shops in Sydney sell morphed sallys.

That's an axolotl isn't it oldfella? Are they the same thing? :?

Here's a pic :)

ajolote.jpg

JeffHardy said:
Thanks Spyke. The BAJA WORM LIZARD Bipes biporus was the beasty that I was after.

No problems :) glad I could help, they are interesting little critters, I might have to have a read about them now :p

Are they caecillians (sp.?) i read about em somewhere, sorta half way between reptile and amphibian, really archaic, most just look like scaly worms though?

This is getting confusing, how many types of what do we have in Australia ? We only have the one type of Axolotl if that's what you mean, the highly illegal Mexican walking fish :)

Caecilians are also worm-like creatures that are closely related to amphibians, but don't have arms or legs like the ajolote worm lizard. Anyway, I ain't gonna sit naked on the ground in the habitat where they live. (Not that I actually sit naked on the ground anywhere).

Cheers

oldfella said:
Is the baja worm lizard a reptile or amphibian?

It's a reptile. It belongs to a group called the Amphisbaenids, a squamate group closely related to the lizards.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back