Albino Darwin carpet python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunnyfront

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just brought my first snake last week his a albino Darwin, around 4 months old people are saying keep him in a click clack tank till his 6 months and a few people I know are saying they put there's straight into a 4 foot tank. Just wondering what's the best way to go and why. And also what theme should I go in his tank. His got his hides and rocks in there still have to get a good branch just want a well presented tank. I'll load a picture of him when I can. Cheers

i got mine home and put her straight into a big tank. She didnt eat for few weeks so i put her in a click-clack setup and she ate straight away. So im leaving her in a click clack for a while now :)

Click Clacks are easier to clean, easier to access your snake and makes your snake feel super secure. All it really needs is paper towel as a substrate, heat, water and a hide. There's always gonna be that person that has the idea that "bigger is better". But all it does is make your python feel insecure, stop feeding and it is just trouble at cleaning time. Some python owners even keep their snakes in click clacks for the full first year. Btw congratz on getting your albino darwin juvie. You got any pics to post? :D

Put him in a click clack. We get 11litre tubs from Howard's storage world, cheap soldering iron from bunnings to make holes at one end and have doweling in one side. We use PVC piping ends with a hole in the top for hides and toilet rolls for an extra hide, a little ceramic bowl for water lik you have and we always keep half of the hide covered with a pillowcase, just to make them feel more secure. I can take a pic to show you if you like?

I'd leave him in a click clack until he is feeding well and consistently for you. Many hatchlings go off food when moved to a new environment. Once used to your house and the smells there AND feeding well, you can move him to an enclosure. Having a transition time is very helpful.

darwin houseing

i kept my darwin in a click clack untill she was around 9 months old than moved her into a 1m x 1.4m cabnit. most hatchies like smaller containers. you could try just putting it straight into a larger enclosure but if there are any problems like it not feeding and so on move it back into a click clack with a few hidey holes

Attachments

• P1010581.jpg
    P1010581.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 339
I hate to be ''that guy'' but wouldnt you have done all reasearch prior to bringing your snake home?? Anyway I keep all my hatchies in click clacks or tubs with paper, water bowl, hide and dowel branches drilled in the sides... and heat obviously.

I've done my research don't worry about that and I pick him up next week but I was hearing two different ways to go that's why I asked all good that your that guy there's always one.

Totally understand how you're gettign conflicting information. It does make it very confusing. In the end, it comes down to trial and error and the individual snakes. Some snakes need time to settle in and get used to their surroundings while some fit right in and eat first day. It just depends what you want to do. If you really want to put him straight into an enclosure, you can try it. Worst thig that could happen is he goes off food for a while. If that happens, just put him back in the click clack until he's a bit bigger and eating more regularly. Or you could just play it safe, keep him in the click clack and move him when you're confident he's settled and eating no problem. It's really up to you. Hope that helps.

Ps. I've done both and had varying results. My latest trial, I put my Olive hatchling into a 4x2x2 enclosure after one feed in her click clack and she had no trouble settling in. She doesn't even use her hide anymroe. But I have also had a Jungle that wouldn't eat in an enclosure and would only eat in a click clack.

If you do put it in a large enclosure, just pay attention to any possible escape holes that you might overlook, just coz hatchies are so small

I'll run him in a click clack first couple of feeds keep you guys up to date with everything. Vamptorso, the tank is all good that I have for him to end up in just about to make a rock wall and it's ready to go. Cheers guys every post is helping all I want is a really happy snake I'm going to feed him every 4-5 days get him a nice size at a decent pace. He looks like he is a stripped pattern as well so I'm pretty happy about that.

View attachment 248782View attachment 248784View attachment 248785there you go :D
Click Clacks are easier to clean, easier to access your snake and makes your snake feel super secure. All it really needs is paper towel as a substrate, heat, water and a hide. There's always gonna be that person that has the idea that "bigger is better". But all it does is make your python feel insecure, stop feeding and it is just trouble at cleaning time. Some python owners even keep their snakes in click clacks for the full first year. Btw congratz on getting your albino darwin juvie. You got any pics to post? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back