Allergies anyone?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterlo

Reaction score
Hey guys i have recently had problems with my blue tongues every time i handled them and then put them back my eyes would puff up and blocked nose and sore throat i thought it was the kitty litter i had them in so i replaced that with newspaper temporarily and i picked them up today and my eyes puffed up again :? so if anyone has any idea what is wrong post below:)

i have never heard of allergies for reptiles, my friend is alergic to fur and they are the same symptoms he gets. ask your doctor?

If you didn't have an allergic reaction to handling the blue tongues before, but you do now, think about anything you may have changed in their enclosure, any sprays or disinfectants you are using, or changes to their diet.

Allergies can develop over time, if it is the bluetongues you may have to limit your exposure. Might be an idea to try an oral anti-histamine if symptoms become a pain.

I'm sure I read a thread about king skinks on here AGES ago (end of last year?), and the person's dad was allergic to them .....

People can be allergic to all sorts of things and reptile allergies are not unheard of. Also they can develop over time with repeat exposure so it could well be the bluey.

I hope it works out ok for you.

Yeah I'm allergic to some cats. Those sound like my symtoms. It's pretty easy to work with. Just make sure you wash your hands after each handling (which should be done anyway), and don't touch your face when you've handled them. Direct contact through the eyes is the easiest way to make the reaction worse.

But I can say my throat used to close up when I first starting spending time with my sister in laws cat. But over time (and having super anti-hystamines on hand) the reaction has dropped to itchy skin or eyes (if I touch them). So spending time with the reactant is probably a good thing. Let your body get used to it and eventually it will build up an immunity to it.

But speak to your doctor to find the right medication to help make it safe to do the above.

Alot more common than you think, maybe you should think of getting something else, exposing yourself to something your body rejects and / or filling yourself up with drugs to combat it can't be too good for your overall health.

I had exactly the same symptoms when I had my blue tongues.Tried all different substrates etc ,Eventually had allergy tests (am under an immunologist already for other allergies) Am not allergic to the lizards themselves but am allergic to the dirt/dust etc that is in the substrates.Eventually I had to give them away as was sick of taking medications to control it everytime I touched or cleaned. : (

I wasn't saying to take midication on a daily basis. I only took it if got bad enough that my throat closed over. If it's only rashes or itchyness, then washing hands after handling usually takes care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back