Alternative Food Options

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven_neves

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I know i've seen a thread that incorporates this, but cannot find it...

What can i feed my DP other than rats?

I've heard some people say small chickens, ducks and quail - but i've had someone say NO NO NO to that as poultry harbours salmonella.

She's a GREAT feeder - but would YOU be healthy if you ate only a whole rump steak each and every day for the rest of your life?

Can feed them just about any small animal IMO. The only prob i have heard of with poultry is with the yolk in day old chicks, apparently the hormones or something in them can cause damage.

Oh really?

That sounds like fun! I'm getting a chicken next time i go to the Victoria Market!!! "cluck cluck, squawk!"

What does 'IMO' mean? Sorry, just learning all this forum stuff...

in my opinion... just so i don't get shot down by people who know better lol.

I use ducklings and chicks evry now and then to give my snakes somehting live to eat that wont cause them any damage.

And Neves there is nothing wrong with feeding your snake on rats for its entire life, rats are pretty nutricious and contain everything the snake needs.

I've thought about feeding my nabours kids to mine but thought that my snake might get indigestion

i thought day old to week old chicks were meant to also be very good for snakes, and it's meant to be quite cheap as farmers only need one rooster and as soon as the baby chicks are sexed they kill off the young roosters as they are worthless to the farmer.

Am I wrong for feeding mine young poultry

I've got a mate who feeds his chicken drumsticks, wings, even necks from the supermarket. He alternates rats etc and then something else. It's 14 years old now and in great health.

I heard you can't do that because you don't know if it's been chewing on ratsak in the last hour but just hasn't died...

ashman07 said:
If you catch say a mouse from the wild is it ok to just give that to your snake.
some do it,bad idea,tryed that years ago when i was hard up for snake food,i ended up with a young diamond with tape worm,you can tell by the white segments of worm in the faeces.Ivamectin (at that time)didnt get rid of it but droncit did,maybe if you froze wild mice long enough they might be ok :)

Ratsack doesn't breakdown even if you freeze them and tapeworms can stay frozen 4 a while

HA! i've got a 6 ft DP, i think i'd have to find the mother-of-all finches to fill that one! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back