am i overfeeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jesssie

Boomer in grass-1.jpg just wondering if my 16month old Jungle Python looks to be in the right proportion to all u guys who know these things lol. I'm worried they're growing too quickly and therefore their body is too big? This one and another the same age are the first Pythonshons I've kept so I'm kinda paranoid I'm feeding them too much? 2x adult mice every 10 days (they absolutely WILL NOT eat rats)

a python should be far more robust than your snake is,i worked in a uni reptile research facility and one of the studies there was on python growth.
To cut a long story short i have explained many times,it was found in the first two years you could really powerfeed your python with no ill efects,infact they will reject food and self regulate if you gave them too much.

+1 pimp ^
Perhaps if you rub mouse all over the rat (scent it) but I would definately like to see you get him onto rats. I feed my coastal 2x50g rats every 10 days or so, he is just looking good, not fat, not skinny. I work it as a feed being about 15-20% his body weight (525g) so he gets 100g of rats per feed
Dont go overboard, but feed him more mice (say 3 a feed) or feed him 2 every 7 days, imo. He looks like he needs more to me.

Try really hard to get him onto rats, even if you try giving him first an adult mouse, then a scented rat while he is in 'feed mode'. Act fast, while he is still young and growing :)

Awesome thanks guys, ill have to give that a go. I have tried getting them to eat rats but not after a mouse. Good idea :)

cptn.ratbag has the right idea, ive done this and it works great.

rats have so much more nutrition than mice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back