Amazing spider

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I thought some people might be interested in having a look at this spider. I know about some of the crazy things which happen in the invertebrate world, but I didn't know about this until tonight. A friend of mine in Germany who is an arachnologist assures me that creatures like this genuinely exist, although they usually don't live very long. I find this reminiscent of two headed reptiles (there's my weak link to reptiles, my excuse for sticking this in a reptile forum ;) ). I must admit, I find these spiders more repulsive than amazing (sorry to the arachnophiles who like them :oops: ). I'm sure opinions in the spider circles are similar to our varied opinions on freak herps.

http://www.spinnenwelt.de/various.p...en&PHPSESSID=4029adb835ca73c95c5a04d46fc2d3d3

(sorry to those of you who don't speak Deutsch!)

I'm not sure if this html image will work, but I'll have a go...

007.jpg

Sorry if this has been done before and double abdomened spiders are old news to you all.

Just after posting, I remembered that for many years I've known about two "tailed" scorpions (incidentally, scorpions don't have tails, the things we call scorpion tails are actually elongations of the posterior abdomen, only vertebrates have tails).

The first one I ever heard about was one named "Pepe", I was able to find pictures of him online:

pepe1.jpg

and here is another two tailed scorpion I found a picture of (sorry about the quality, the picture isn't mine!)

us_twotail2.jpg

and while I'm doing the arachnid thing, I'll throw in pictures of my own. Here are some I took of a Lychas marmoreus, which I found in western Victoria.

Scorpionprettyprofile.jpg

Scorpionportrait.jpg

Scorpionhappysmile.jpg

The scorpions are fine, but that spider is a bit too much for me! very interesting though, thanks Sdaji

Eww. Gross. One hairy bulbous abdomen is too much.

Oh and "Oh wow Sdargi you take such amazing photos!! *swoons*" Heh :p

Thanks for sharing. It's nice to learn from this site sometimes :)

love the pics of the l.marmoreus sdaji, are they all this colour ?
thanks for the link to, the galleries in this site are awesome.to bad i cant translate the text.
oh and ive never seen a double abdomen i dont think on a spider.do you think that t is a she and if she is, could she lay eggs from both parts?

That's amazing, I wonder if it is anything to do with being a hybrid ;-)

good stuff mate. And I have always thought that arachnids fit into a herp forum anyway.

If that spider had a prehensile tail, it'd look like a hairy face hugger from Aliens.

Hey John, Does Lychas marmoreus occur in the Grampians and surrounding areas, I've seen a few small scorpians that look similar to that, only a few centimetres long.

Uggg thats just eeewwww *shudder*
Imagine if one abdomen was male and the other female, it could breed with itself hehehehhe, brings a whole new meaning to that saying that i can't type as i'm too lady like AAAhahah lol.

nvenm8: thanks :)

Vat69: You're welcome and thank you :oops: :)

ssssssssssnakeman: most I've seen are more yellow. I'd never bothered to photograph a scorpion before this one, if you like I can snap the next one I find a few times. Thanks and you're welcome ;) I'm no arachnologist, but I'd imagine that if the spider was female and managed to beat the odds and live to maturity, she could lay eggs from both abdomens (abdoma? What's the plural of abdomen?).

boa: you dag ;)

Chewy: maybe boa can attach one for you ;)

Jordan: I've seen three species of scorpions in the area, one Urodacus, one Lychas and one something else which you might confuse with Lychas (I can't remember for sure off the top of my head, but I think it's Cercophonius squama - it's the same one you get across most of southern Victoria, including Melbourne). I'm not sure if the Lychas in the area are marmoreus or something else. If I ever get the chance, I'll identify them. If you can get a good picture of one, I should be able to identify it for you.

pythoness: heh, I must admit, I find it a bit "ugg and eww" too :lol: You keep your imagination to yourself! ;)

that spider can take a dump in two places at once :lol: imagine the webs it could spin... thanks for sharing sdaji! love the scorp shots too ;)

San Diego Zoo have a 2 headed snake in their collection. I have a pic at home somewhere.

wow, i wonder if it has two sets of all its internal organs (not too sure about the anatomy of spiders so forgive me if i have areas mixed up, hehe) ooh, could it weave two webs at once? how confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back