angry carpet python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpentes_15

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My Murray Darling carpet python is getting close to 2 years now and the last few months she's been getting angrier and angrier. I've not been bitten yet but she is consistently curling up into a very aggressive striking pose and one wrong move ticks her off. I have to pick her up with a hook as she lunges when i touch her, but once i have her out of the enclosure she calms right down and is less sensitve to movement, contact etc.

What can i do to try and minimise this innate fear. Can i get her more used to me interfering with her environment. I know that i have not been handling her enough as i didn't like taking her out during winter very much as it was quite cold where i live.

This is my first snake and i do not like the idea of having a very aggressive 3m python later on in life. That could lead to a very sore face:shock:.

cheers.:D

well i have the thermostatset to 29-30 at the cool end. its a large tank so their is a very good heat gradient. a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter and a 60Watt night glo provide basking spots and the night glo is above a rock. i feed her weanling rats at the moment, she just moved up from adult mice. i try to vary it sometimes feeding her fortnightly then say skip three weeks, then after about 10 days. I feed her in the enclosure and usually give her a few days peace after a meal. The response generally resembles fear and defence as apposed to confusing me with a prey item

if she calms down once you have her out, i'd say she's just cage deffensive.......get used to it!
try getting a cool end of around 26-27 degrees, warm end 32-33 degrees.

why do you skip 3 weeks of feeding?

sometimes i might be away and as i dont have a reliable mate or relative to do it for me i feel its best to let her wait and feed her after. I really dont have a proper feeding regime despite having read numerous caresheets and guides on keeping carpets. they all say different things. it would average between 10 and 16 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back