Angry Childrens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cain04

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So here is today's problem im needing advice with. I have a children's python which i was given by my mate who moved over seas.
This thing is the devil in serpent form, no not really but he he is not a pleasant little fellow. Very aggressive. Enclosure, temp, hides ect. are all spot on and he is regularly fed, but still angry as can be.

In all fairness with constant daily handling and bearing through the many, many, many bites he does tame down to the point where if hooked out his enclosure you can handle him with out getting a bite. Problem is, go away for the weekend and you back to square one with this snake with attitude.

So guess im just after advice on what people think I should do. Do I look for another children's python and just set them aside for breeding, do I try and sell him to some one who can afford to pay him the constant attention he needs (cant see many people being to keen on buying him as 'great snake, guaranteed to try and rip your face off' aint the best sales pitch), or do i perhaps look to selling him to a breeder.

I do love the little bugger but i just don't have the time available to be able to pay him all the attention he needs in order to keep him 'tame'.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Cain

My ten cents is thus.
A Childrens Python wont do much damage if it does bite as you know, it's just scary :p
New and young pythons usually calm down after a while. Space is the key a lot of the time.
Some are cage defensive which means they like their home and hate visitors. Some think they're getting fed.
My yearling Jungle is just starting to settle down after using me as a pin cushion most times I handled her.
It helps to look away as you get them out so you don't jump when they strike. Gloves are good if you hate the sight of blood.
Confidence and not caring about the bites help too :p I dislike handling other people's snakes but my own are fine. Just takes time.
Some say if you get bit you're doing something wrong. Not sure about that. Some just like to bite.
He can be your 'special little guy' if he never changes ha ha. We all have one.

Last edited:
i would say, do a full cleanout of his tank being sure to remove any smells of food ect.
also feed in a separate tank/tub/click-clack
when removing the snake put him in a pillow case and let him smell you and get used to your scent

or he might just be a devil :evil: but they're all special

i would say, do a full cleanout of his tank being sure to remove any smells of food ect.
also feed in a separate tank/tub/click-clack
when removing the snake put him in a pillow case and let him smell you and get used to your scent

or he might just be a devil :evil: but they're all special
I do not agree with feeding in a separate tub or tank but the pillow case idea can work well.

i had a similar situation mate. I didn't handle him for months and months and months now that he is larger he has mellowed out on his own. Still not as placid as other snakes that I have handled regularly but so much better than I ever thought he would be.

Or just accept that he's for enjoying in a display enclosure and simply not for daily handling. If you 'love' him appreciate him for what he is instead of forcing him to fit your mould. Who knows with time he may well settle. My Mac isn't kranky but she isn't one to 'willingly' come out for holding. Once out she doesn't settle in she simply wants to move around and if she gets the chance to get off the person and onto furniture then she is off in a shot. I still handle her from time to time but mostly she is enjoyed in her habitat.

I have an adult blonde mac, she is gorgeous but has a screw loose. I've had aggressive jungles ect before that will just bite with no warning at all but this girl will chews on snake hooks. I no longer use a hook with her as it is to upsetting hearing her teeth crunch on the hook, on the upside she's a great feeder lol.

Some snakes are just too nervous, flighty or just have very strong food responses. The more I get into ants the more I found that mine have very strong food responses. I would give it sometime to settle in but be prepared to either have a display snake or sell it to someone who will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back