Animals don't like to be (live) food - proof!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyror

Reaction score
The issue of feeding live rodents to snakes has been repeatedly debated. At the end of the day it seems the general consensus is that it shouldn't be condoned.

I think that one perspective that hasn't been extensively looked at is whether or not these fury little critters like the idea of being eaten alive. Well the proof is here. Watch this and believe!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/matrixmouse.html

RE: Animals don

There are some much nastier live feedings on this site, but i feel that they are a bit too graphical to be linked directly to. If you look around on there, i'm sure you'se will find them.

Yeah, some pretty cruel videos on there, how about the spider vs mouse one the venom didn't take long to have an effect.

I have to agree there is no reason to live feed,most herps are bred in captivity so you would think they were started on dead pinkies (i would hope).Even if you have to feed fresh killed its still far better than feeding alive .Rodents do feel pain and fear, and deserve some compasion I hate the thought of any one feeding one of my very trusting rodent kids alive to their snake.
Odessa

Karma is one of lifes mysteries!!!!

There's nothing mysterious about karma; it comes around then goes around, simple :)

Karma is a load of crap!!

For karma to be real would mean there has to be a higher power, because it is statistically impossible for all my bad deeds to come and bite me on the ass, that could only happen if there was someone making it happen.

**** happens, karma doesn't.

If it wasnt such a cruel subject i would have said it was better than the real matrix.

IMO something like that is very bad, but feeding live food to something that kills it extremely quickly is completely differant.
I have what i now call 'coinhabitant fish'(formeraly feeder fish) with my turtles and fish and i dont think its cruel for them to eat one of them(its is completely agaist my will :wink: )

If karma existed a giant rat would grab me by the tail and whack my head on something, chuck me in a freezer, defrost me and feed me to a really big snake, it hasnt happend yet but i guess it could. Not to mention what all the cows, pigs, fish and chickens i have eaten would do:lol:

Thats so sad! I really feel for that poor little mouse! It's no different from a person having someone take stabs at them with a knife, but being taunted with death as they keep missing...but they know death is coming no matter what or how much they dodge the knife initally. It's sickening to think of how terrified that mouse must have been...some people are just sadistic sick freaks. :twisted:

I think that snake/hamster friendship must be like 1:1000000. Wouldn't see that happen too often. Besides the point, the person who put that hamster in did it with full intention for it to be eaten alive. That hamsters jus 1 lucky little critter.

Pyror said:
The issue of feeding live rodents to snakes has been repeatedly debated. At the end of the day it seems the general consensus is that it shouldn't be condoned.

I think that one perspective that hasn't been extensively looked at is whether or not these fury little critters like the idea of being eaten alive. Well the proof is here. Watch this and believe!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/matrixmouse.html

RE: Re: Animals don

Why is that so terrible? because it was video'd? no indictation beyond the length of the vid of how long it was in there. so the poor mouse is freaked, the poor snake is hungry. just because the vid is given a silly name dosent make it awful or unusual, it may have been removed immediately after the vid ended.
no reason to assume that because the person thought the mouses behaviour was worth videoing that he/she was getting sick pleasure. it wasnt overly long time to give the snake opportunity to get it right, was it?
how long is acceptable? I counted 35 seconds. I understand empathy for the mouse, I thought so too, poor thing, but some dont take frozen.

instarnett, I found that terrible because the mouse is freaked and the snake is hungry. They are both contained in a small area with neither able to 'run away' to seek shelter, therefore the fight instinct will come into play and things can get nasty. This video itself may not be cruel and sick, for the reasons you point out. However, there is no doubt that this sort of thing goes on all over the world and that video is, for me, a horrible reminder of just how bad conditions can be for some kept animals.

I will add too, that during the duration of that filming, regardless of what happens later, that mouse is being terrorised and that snake is being teased.

Oh funny, it's so haha. :roll:

I agree wrasse but thats the nature of reptile keeping as I said, its unfortunate for the mouse but if you keep a snake you have equal responsibility to its needs. If it wont take frozen you may need to eventually resign yourself to the fact youll have to feed live, and this may happen, sad for mouse as it is. Personally I think what was shown (35 seconds) wasnt overly long an opportunity for the snake to catch it. Maybe the mouse had just had a morning coffee. :D
Think I mightve missed your point lol bit of a risky venture for the snake, I agree.
what can you do if the rat freaks out immediatly? stunning might be just as cruel? Is a python on a cave wall teased as thousands of bats fly by untill it catches one?

Humans do worse things to other humans......and they should know better!!

I* love the beardy in your Avatar Fay, lots of yellow. Is it a barbata? We have a male like that.

Hi Instarnett, not a barbata....he is our gorgeous male 'yellowbeard' vitticeps.
He has been at the vets for weeks now, with an infected eye. The vet removed the eye........poor darling....but had to do the best for him. He is just the most beautiful, placid boy!! His colour is actually cream with a yellow beard!!

Oh poor thing, thats a shame, still, better one eyed than dead eh. Our boy is barbata, has bright vivid yellow face and legs and down his sides, but his beard is black. The side of your fellas face reminded me of ours.
Ours is very placid too, I think its just the nature of beardys, though our baby henri lawsonii is a savage little thing. LOl

What wrasse said, more better words than i could coherently write.
The way its made out to be some sort of game is sickening :x
I cant work out if that the snakes cage or the rodents either way its just bad, stick em in jail for a year i reckon.

Instarnett can you post pics of your yellow barbata, i havnt actually seen any of "colour" in captive collections(im hoping others will prove me wrong too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back