Animals don't like to be (live) food - proof!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: Animals don

I may not have ventured into keeping snakes if feeding live prey was the only option.

Surely you know that there are some individual snakes that refuse to eat dead food, even force feeding does not work on all animals, should these be left to die? Would such an animal die in the wild?

I don't condone live feeding when it can be avoided, but if there is no other choice, thats life.

I will not enter the debate about wether food should be fed live or not I go both ways and so do my pythons its that simple.
I found that pretty funny :lol: What have they fed that mouse and does he work out?
Yes its sick humour but those of you against live food must see the fun side to it. :wink:

As much as I fed my female mice I found them to be more distuctive then a quick bite and swollw from a snake.Some female mice for some umknown reason decide to do odd things like chew off tails or take out whole litters.
I would much prefer a quick death.

Snakewrangler, I am well aware of that, I have a few snakes in my collection that will only eat live food. Mainly fisheaters, but I have one carpet that until recently would turn her nose up at dead dinner. Notice that I said 'until recently'.
It has taken three years, but finally this little carpet is eating frozen/thawed rats. I didn't enjoy having to feed her live, but it didn't stop me as it came down to her or the mouse. I managed to get her to eat fresh killed, but the corpse had to be still kicking and regardless of what has been said in the thread, I think that to 'whack' and toss a dying throes/still kicking, fresh killed mouse in to her was far more humane for snake and mouse, than to toss a live mouse in was.

However, if, way back in the beginning before I took my first snake on, the only way that all snakes would eat was to eat live, I doubt I would have taken any snakes on at all.

Wrasse, I hope you don't think I was having a go at you or anything, I feel the same way. The aim of all keepers should be to get their animals on to dead food as soon as possible, if not from the very first meal, I am glad you were successful in doing so.

I am against the "whack" method of killing mice, I think it is inhumane and would cause considerable pain to the mouse, that pain may only last a short while but there is no way it is an instant death, even if the animal stops moving, it may be paralised or something and unable to move. The only truly painless way to kill them is "putting them to sleep" with gas. Even that would be very stressful, I have seen it done and done it a few times myself, the animals literally freak out, but at least they are not in pain and they are usually unconcious within seconds.

This is just my opinion of course. :)

RE: Re: RE: Re: Animals don

Mine are usually gassed, however, with this snake, the best I could do was 'whacked' as they had to be still kicking or she wouldn't touch them. Even the rat dance, rat dance on cotton and wriggle around a corner tricks didn't work. :(

It still amazes me how they can tell the difference between live animal movements and even the most disguised faked ones, I guess they can probably sense the fear factor as well...

Well, when whacked, the fear factor is gone, but it was suggested to me the residual muscle movements (kicking) will cause the lungs to rise and fall and it is the expiring air, essentially C02 (?) that she may be picking up as 'breathing'.

Quite seriously, if the mouse slowed down and kicking virtually stopped, she lost interest in it. Yet even though it may have 'quivered' for a while afterwards, still, from her, no response.

Thank goodness that chapter of our lives is over. It was very stressful, (at least for me :p).

It still amazes me how they can tell the difference between live animal movements and even the most disguised faked ones, I guess they can probably sense the fear factor as well...
It might be a heat sensing thing as well.

Thank goodness that chapter of our lives is over. It was very stressful, (at least for me ).
Is she on thawed now?

Yeap :) Takes them like a champ now, even tried to take my hand the other night. :D

Instarnett can you post pics of your yellow barbata, i havnt actually seen any of "colour" in captive collections(im hoping others will prove me wrong too).

here is a 'family' pic.

7163.jpg

another
7165.jpg

personally i couldn't do that but each to their own.I also do understand though that some snakes will only eat live but lucky for me mine all eat thawed .

Nice beardies Instanett :) thanks for posting them.

I am against the "whack" method of killing mice, I think it is inhumane and would cause considerable pain to the mouse, that pain may only last a short while but there is no way it is an instant death,
So an instant massive force causing instant loss of consiousness and stoppage of brain function isnt humane?

Re: RE: Re: Animals don

instarnett said:
Why is that so terrible? because it was video'd? no indictation beyond the length of the vid of how long it was in there. so the poor mouse is freaked, the poor snake is hungry. just because the vid is given a silly name dosent make it awful or unusual, it may have been removed immediately after the vid ended.
no reason to assume that because the person thought the mouses behaviour was worth videoing that he/she was getting sick pleasure. it wasnt overly long time to give the snake opportunity to get it right, was it?
how long is acceptable? I counted 35 seconds. I understand empathy for the mouse, I thought so too, poor thing, but some dont take frozen.

If the snake is hungry enough it'll eat. I'm sure you just need to give it more time =)

I must say Im ainst feeding live food...but when they just wont eat it comes back to .. would you rather your snake die

haha that cracked me up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back