Another animal on the extinction list........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know there are 3 National Parks in East Java with limited populations of Javan Rhinos and definitely several others in various safari parks
Quite a few Sumatrans in from Medan and near Jambi

If you really look at it, Dinosaurs were on this earth for about 180 million years.
Evidence of human existence for about 100 million.
But the first recorded human history started about 10 million years ago, which what I kind of believe is when humans really started hacking into the earth.

Dinosaurs managed to survive so long on this earth, hardly making a dent.
Whereas, us human have managed to deplete and destroy in such a short amount of time.

I agree with Fay. This is so sad :(

Dinosaaurs were around much longer than 180my (in various forms) and us mob (homo sapiens) well under a mil (more like a hundred thou). Hominids 4 maybe 6 mil.
There were late cambrian sponges called archeocyatha (or something like that) that took over the world in a rush and disappeared from the fossil record just as quick. Nature exploits any abundant resouce and we are now 7 billion. There will be eaters!

Last edited:
Humans haven't been around for anywhere near that long.

I was lead to believe around 4 million years for humans... Never actually seen scientific evidence of this - but certainly can't be 100 million years ago.

Also - We didn't begin mass moving till much more recently.

A good programme to watch on that is Dr Alice Roberts' - The Incredible Human Journey - a thorough recommendation for those that don't want to read up on the subject. It is thoroughly entertaining and proves that Asians are descended from the same Africans that we are!

As for rhinos... and poachers... I don't see why we cant have poacher poachers... People that poach poachers and take their horn (as suggested in an earlier post). I know several aussies who'd take that job. Follow rhinos around all day, armed to the hilt, guarding them. I think that would be a rewarding job. But unfortunately it may lead to poacher poacher poachers. Anyway, i was lead to believe that in Africa they have poacher poachers because the tourism industry requires the safari animals. However, not so sure how they work or what they're entitled to do or even how far they're spread.

But poachers are real low lives in any book!

The Javan Rhino still isn't extinct entirely...As their is a population of about 40 rhinos still living in a park in Indonesia...but thats it and they will likely be extinct completely within 10 years..The Sumatran Rhino will probably be extinct within 10-15 years aswell

Hopefully the have captive breeding populations going.

Since when is it "ours"? And this is no human paradise to say the least...All the pathogenic bacteria, viruses, parasites, natural disasters, resource shortages etc...this planet is the absolute furthest thing from a human paradise. It's the most suitable planet for life in the solar system but it is FAR from a paradise.

This is it buddy. Planet earth, heaven or hell, that's up to you, but there is no spare planet in the shed. And we wont be going to Alpha Centauri with the Robinsons any time soon. Better look after this one!

I was lead to believe around 4 million years for humans... Never actually seen scientific evidence of this - but certainly can't be 100 million years ago.

Also - We didn't begin mass moving till much more recently.

A good programme to watch on that is Dr Alice Roberts' - The Incredible Human Journey - a thorough recommendation for those that don't want to read up on the subject. It is thoroughly entertaining and proves that Asians are descended from the same Africans that we are!

As for rhinos... and poachers... I don't see why we cant have poacher poachers... People that poach poachers and take their horn (as suggested in an earlier post). I know several aussies who'd take that job. Follow rhinos around all day, armed to the hilt, guarding them. I think that would be a rewarding job. But unfortunately it may lead to poacher poacher poachers. Anyway, i was lead to believe that in Africa they have poacher poachers because the tourism industry requires the safari animals. However, not so sure how they work or what they're entitled to do or even how far they're spread.

But poachers are real low lives in any book!

In Africa they made the wildlife valuable to the locals by sharing profits from parks and big game hunting. The locals became the poacher poachers (many of them former poachers) because the resource was now valuable to them and their tribe.

Last edited:
kill the poachers i say they will hunt anything for a trinket until there is nothing more of that animal to hunt :( like the whale hunters locally

Thats what money does or the lack of it in third world countries that puts a high price on blood diamond, rhino horn, elephant tusks etc, we live in a in a western country, the western countries take 80% of the world resources just to feed and build for our greedy selves, we are a lot worse than any poachers but all we can do is try to save what we have left, but you can't really get to angry over people in third world countries that need to feed, clothe, educate, get medical assistance and house their families, im sure most people would kill the last rhino if they had a choice between feeding their child and killing the last rhino which is happining or letting your family starv and letting the rhino live, mmm don't think so, we have left other countries with nothing, the reason why we have more conservation of forests and resoures than other countries is because we took all of their's and when they all run out they'll be knocking on our door wanting some brown sugar.
we all have the blood on our hands.....

Last edited:
:cry: I read this the other day. It's truly heartbreaking.
The rhino horn industry is such a useless, stupid and destructive industry!!

Three white rhino's were shot for their horn (a mother, father and baby) in a single day on a nature reserve I was staying at in south africa this year.
It's brutal. The baby would have had the tiniest horn but they shoot whatever they find. On this particular reserve they had rangers who were trained to shoot on site - the chinese black market has made rhino horn so valuable now that people don't care, they'll risk anything for it.

you can't really get to angry over people in third world countries that need to feed, clothe, educate, get medical assistance and house their families, im sure most people would kill the last rhino if you had a choice between feeding their child and killing the last rhino or letting your family starv and letting the rhino live, we have left other countries with nothing.
we all have the blood on our hands.....

Poor poachers poach things like zebra and impala - if they're in that kind of situation they wouldn't have the money to purchase the weapons needed to take down a rhino. Rhino poachers are in a whole new league of their own, the filthy mongrels.

Last edited:
Ahhhh! Well there you go - even a shorter amount of time - sorry for the stuff up of time on my part! I thought it was a bit long :S
Just goes to show!

Still so incredibly sad. And all for what? Medicinal properties?
Horns are just hardened keratin.
It's dead cells basically, exactly like what our hair and nails are made of!

Thats a great video and I really enjoyed it...but once again its under the false assumption that the planet needs us to "save" it...Which is absurd..We need to "save" the planet to save ourselves and other large animals...but make no mistake about it the planet will live on with or without us...we will just go down in extinction like 99.99 percent of all other life has..While new life comes about and the cycle continues etc

I agree 100 percent with the message of that video...but once again it seems to be hinting that some supernatural being gave us this planet for us to take care and be the stewart of or some other ridiculous crap..We should be environmentally aware because we want us and other life to prosper not because "God gave us it to look after."

This is it buddy. Planet earth, heaven or hell, that's up to you, but there is no spare planet in the shed. And we wont be going to Alpha Centauri with the Robinsons any time soon. Better look after this one!

Yea I agree 100 percent...I was just trying to say that we should stop pretending that this is some fantastic paradise that was given to humans...When all the evidence points to it being a rather cruel place where everything tries to survive at the expense of each other.....We should do our absolute best to look after this planet for our own sake( and for the sake of other life forms) but the planet doesn't need us to look after it or save it...Thats just human arrogance in the worst form and the planet will be here long after we are gone.

In Africa they made the wildlife valuable to the locals by sharing profits from parks and big game hunting. The locals became the poacher poachers (many of them former poachers) because the resource was now valuable to them and their tribe.

Yeah that is true...I also always thought that generally( this is going to sound like a huge stereotype) people in Africa looked at animals in a different light than did people in Asia..They were of course killed for resources but you never heard of insane practices like Bear bile farming etc...Especially when living conditions increased..people became to take more pride in their landscape and the animals that shared the landscape with them...

I don't know what it is about Asians....but even in wealthy developed countries like Japan and in more developed areas of China you still see horrible accounts of animal cruelty etc..Japan's dolphin and whale hunt...Bear Bile Farming etc.

Last edited:
Don't worry too much about it.......When the sun expands before becoming a supernova,( in a couple of thousand million years) the Earth with be destroyed, along with all trace of everything that was ever here.............so one and nothing gets out alive.............
Bummer eh?

Extinction whilst unfortunate, especially man made extinction, is not all bad. After all it creates a habitat for NEW species to evolve and exploit, though being a relatively slow process on our time scale we wont be around to see them. In the past 540 million years there have been five major events when over 50% of animal species died yet we have more species now than at any other time in history.

Don't worry too much about it.......When the sun expands before becoming a supernova,( in a couple of thousand million years) the Earth with be destroyed, along with all trace of everything that was ever here.............so one and nothing gets out alive.............
Bummer eh?
unless you are a cockroach or a twinky!

Yes It human nature to want to destroy things unfornatly why not just hunt and destroy precious bueatiful animals to extinction or Invade a country and kill all the natives or make war on our selves amd kill each other leaving mothers wirhout sons and wives without husbands or babies to grow up without a dad

Exactly! & THIS is the place we call 'home'? This is the world we are bringing children into? Its just sad! Someone mentioned that some people have no choice..... i agree, but hunting to feed your family is COMPLETELY different to hunting & killing an animal for a single horn......i believe that to just be greed, its the 'thrill of the kill' usually, & that is all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back