Another bad shed...BUT.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
Ok, my stimi had a bad shed not long ago and i went into panic mode as her eye lens didn't come off. But thats old news. She shed again today and her shed was worse than last time. Both her eyes and most of her head had skin left on. so i got her out and tried to wipe it off. She was not impressed.
So rather than come on to APS crying and complaining that "I NEED HELP!!!", i sipped my vodka and OJ (with my stimi on my lap) and watched her rub herself on me. So i popped her in a plastic tub with a small amount of water that didn't even cover the bottom of the container (it pooled in the corner) and i rolled up one of those fake, bendablble vines that are rough and shoved it in there with her. I then put the lid on and placed the container on top of her cage where the heat lamp is and let the heat mist her container up a little.
She Instantly started rubbing her head on it and all the skin came off in minutes :D

So now i am so proud of myself and my stimi, i thought i'd share my tale with everyone else. And maybe stop another blonde chick on here from going into panic mode should it ever happen to her ;)

:) you should be proud! ive had to put my 7ft carpet python im my bath tub to soak him because he didnt shed proply that was a fun job lol.
does your stimi have a big enough water bowl in her cage she can soak in?
love the profile pic by the way, a bit creepy at first but cute lol :D

If you want to make sure that doesnt happen again a good thing to do is a light mist of water once a day as soon as you notice them going inot shed.

If you want to make sure that doesnt happen again a good thing to do is a light mist of water once a day as soon as you notice them going inot shed.

I'll be doing this next time she sloughs. Its odd though, she has shed with me a few times now, and only the last 2 times its not gone so well. Maybe the hot, dry weather that started with summer?? Either way - water bottle it is! :)

Are you still using that fan?

I've never had to mist and never really had any really overly bad sloughs.

Are you still using that fan?

God no! Thats evil thing is on my shooting pile! :)
I have the normal ceramic heat lamp set on 32 degrees C. I even moved her large water dish next to heat to make her cage a little more humid. Hopefully i'll get it right next time she sheds.

Do you have anything rough in the cage for her to rub against?
It will make shedding much easier for her.

Do you have anything rough in the cage for her to rub against?
It will make shedding much easier for her.

She has wood and rocks etc. She did have the rough vine in there but i took it out (can't remember why), but its going strait back in there as its what got rid of her skin this time round.

And a water bowl that is large enough for to get in and have a soak. But you will want a bigger bowl so that you only need to half fill it. That way, when she gets in it she won't spill water over the sides of the bowl.

Good to hear it all worked out for her. Well done to you for doing what you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back