Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
says it wasnt a serious bite,couldnt of been too bad then if it was a 79 year old woman
and sounds like she only needed observation

eastern browns " what a awsome snake, but fell in a no win situation, its not looking good, I hope she lives it out, Also rip little eastern brown, hope you go too a better place, its not your fault mate.
cheers steve.

Glad to hear the woman is ok.....However, i'm a little suss on who did the snake ID. Why are hospital staff examining a snake in the flesh???? Shouldn't they be confirming with a bite swab.

It could have been a bloody golden crown. 30cm, in a garden, stands up just like a brown, is a similar colour............

id say it was a either a little amount of venom injected or a drybite.. id say drybite though just cause it was in defensive mode.. could be wrong.. but i wouldnt of over though a 79 year old woman survie the bite of a mighty eastern brown..

That's ---'because' ----'wouldn't have ever thought' --- & 'survive' . Sorry , it's been a long day :)

she shouldn't have been gardening there in the first place.

kidding.

Glad to hear the woman is ok.....However, i'm a little suss on who did the snake ID. Why are hospital staff examining a snake in the flesh???? Shouldn't they be confirming with a bite swab.

It could have been a bloody golden crown. 30cm, in a garden, stands up just like a brown, is a similar colour............

I agree with you, when i was first bitten by a whip snake I didn't know what it was so I took it with me in a pillow case.

They more couldn't believe that I took it.

Unless your qualified they wont even take notice of an amateur herper.

(The snake was trapped and placed in a jar for hospital staff to examine, the spokeswoman said).
Very interesting not being disrespectful to hospital staff but most hospital staff wouldnt know a common brown from a common tigersnake unless they had previous experience or encounters with snakes or had done research on snakes.

I'm quite certain all hospitals would be equipped with reference books and photographic guides to help with identification.

They most likely are MrBredli but they still could mis-identify something - but then I guess anyone can. I heard of a fellow up this way being bitten by a rouhg-scaled snake and ambo's identified the snake as a tiger. But lucky a fawna worker who arrived to capture the snake ID'd it before he was given the wrong anti-venom.

I live in Cowra and snakes other than browns are rarely seen in the area. I have done three brown snake call outs in the last month, one was thought to be a copperhead but it was a juv brown with stripes and a dark patch on its head. One call out was just late last week near the area of town this lady was bitten and it was a 2ft brown I took away. Unfortunately I took it away in a plastic bag because the guy cut it in half before I got there :(

Also, about our local hospital... I'm surprised the lady is still alive! lol

They most likely are MrBredli but they still could mis-identify something - but then I guess anyone can. I heard of a fellow up this way being bitten by a rouhg-scaled snake and ambo's identified the snake as a tiger. But lucky a fawna worker who arrived to capture the snake ID'd it before he was given the wrong anti-venom.

I think you'll find the same antivenom is used to treat both Tiger snake and rough scaled snake bites.

Apparently someone got bitten by a brown on a golf course in Frankston Vic on the weekend, looks like theyre moving more and more south each year.

Tiger Snake antivenom is used to treat a whole swag of different venomous snake bites. Obviously it does all the Tiger Snakes, but also Tropidechis, Hoplocephalus, Pseudechis colletti, P.guttatus, P.porphyriacus, Cryptophis, Austrelaps and some (or all?) of the sea snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back