another camera thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bax do you have any pics so i can see what it is capable of?

My girlfriend bought the Canon 450D (much to my disgust, I'm a Nikon fan) and it appears to be very good. She took my advice and didn't muck around with the kit lenses though. She bought the 100mm macro with IS, the 70-300 IS and took some great photos with them. It can be quite a handful to use though but take some very nice photos. All the same, I have taken some very respectable photos with a 2nd hand Nikon D70s, a speedlight SB600 and a relatively cheap macro lense (Tamron 90mm). Might be worth getting a 2nd hand DSLR (much cheaper) and finding out if you really like having one.

Here are some photos from my $1000 camera set up (I got everything quite cheap).

_DSC9147.jpg

_DSC9141.jpg

_DSC8804.jpg

_DSC8851.jpg

-H

Great camera! I bought one after I got a nikon D80. I love the D80 and I'll keep it as a spare and for the more "dirty" trips. But I got the canon cause there as so many more lenses at a way cheaper price than the nikon.. My best nikon lens the vr 70-200 cost me 2400 bucks... Like I said I love it.. but canon is way more affordable!

Great pics Nephrurus! I love em :) I agree Nikon is better. Just that canon is more affordable. Tamron lenses and sigma make the nikon more affordable too.

Looks good, but i think the canon is my choice, I just rang jb and the guy asked me for the web site and said he was going to get himself one at that price lol

Hehe I know I've already posted my opinion but just had another play around with the Canon EOS 450D that I just bought... I wanted to say that I too agree that Nikon are by far the best but for the entry level camerperson who isn't looking to blow thousands, Canon is the way to go! I took this shot with the standard 18-55mm lense that comes with the camera, after a couple of hours practise. Now tell me that for the average person, who would be complaining about these kind of pictures for a BRAND NEW $1100 camera....?

And this file has also been heavily compressed to 58.2kb..... You should see it at full resolution on my Full HD 40" Sony Bravio!!! Orgasmic hahahaha :lol::lol::lol:)

Attachments

• roger.jpg
    roger.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 140
wow seumas that is a great shot, can't wait to get my camera and start playing with it.

wow seumas that is a great shot, can't wait to get my camera and start playing with it.

Thanks channi! I think you're going to have loads of fun with it! Make sure to post us some of your pics when you get it!! Enjoy :lol:

I will post pics for sure, not until I get some good ones thou ;)

If buying a DSLR I wouldn't get a twin lens kit as the lenses are usually bottom of the line stuff quality wise.I think buying a camera body only and a couple of dedicated lenses more suited to the type of shots you want to take would be a much better way to spend your money.

Current market trend (in terms of quality of optics)

Entry

Sony (Minolta) A300 [as stated earlier IS is built into the camera not lenses]

Middle
Nikon D300

Pro
Canon EOS 5d Mark2 [Whilst a standard lense is cheaper than sony, IS lenses are hell expensive]

Either way i recommend buying a Body only and buying lenses made by either Tamron or Tokina. Any reputable place you buy the camera from will stock these brands and do it in a bundle to save you money.
Also purchase UV FILTERS for your lenses, as this stops the sun destroying the optics inside the camera (yes they burn just like your retina)

I'm a big time enthusiast photographer who does professional photo shoots.
Through my work and a large number of friends (some of who are professionals) I have been able use almost all of the Nikon, Sony, Canon and Pentax line ups.

Also purchase UV FILTERS for your lenses, as this stops the sun destroying the optics inside the camera (yes they burn just like your retina)

Not so much a factor these days as not enough UV will be able to get through the lens to mess with the sensor. Only neccesary for your film if your using an old school slr camera. But yes definatley a +1, also reccomend picking up one for your lens and leaving it screwed on all the time, it will save your glasss from any scratches, drops, fingerprints or anything that could mess up your lenses glass.

.............. Its not just important for film camera's....... you do realise a DSLR only has a finite life... and subjecting the optics to excessive UV can reduce this quiet a bit.

.............. Its not just important for film camera's....... you do realise a DSLR only has a finite life... and subjecting the optics to excessive UV can reduce this quiet a bit.

Of course, but the UV isn't going to damage the glass in your lens even if you point the camera directly at the sun. The only damage that will occur is if you release the shutter with it pointed at the sun in the middle of a bright day and of course that will burn out/damage your sensor, and really if someone is going to be dumb enough to try that then good luck to them :p

lol, dont be suprised :p :) i would hope no one here would.... considering their "mature" enough to own reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back