another croc shot at school this morning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give an update on what we've done so far with the skull. I cut off as much meat and skin as i could, which was a much bigger jod than i thought it would be. The jaw muscles actually continue right down inside the snout of the top jaw, right under the eyes and, i assume, all the way upto the nose. It wasn't easy to get all of the meat and cartlidge out of these places. The skin is fixed right onto the bone in most places and was far too difficult to get off in the time we had available. Inplace of cutting it off i scored it length wise several times along the snouth.

We've placed the jaw and skull tooth-side-up in a tub of water with cable ties around the snout and bottom jaw to help stop them separating (although it should be a big enough animal that they don't split) to soak for about a month. Unfortunatley to stop the kids from stealing teeth and other things out of it we have put it in my shed... it should start smelling nice and ripe very soon!

Shhhhh!
Let sleeping trolls .umm.....sleep.
It's kinda like saying Beetle Juice three times.
*ducks and runs for cover*

Stop, drop and roll works better for flamers!

Last edited:
A croc skull would be an awesome room ornament. *thread hijack* what are the legalities involved in acquiring such a thing and does anyone ever see such things for sale?

A croc skull would be an awesome room ornament. *thread hijack* what are the legalities involved in acquiring such a thing and does anyone ever see such things for sale?

Very easy and completely legal if you go through the right sources. Most croc farms sell them, i think crocodylus sells them Crocodylus Park, Darwin, Australia i'm sure if you shoot them an email they could help you out. They even sell hatchlings! Most tourist shops in Darwin sell them too. Make sure you get a certificate with any croc product you purchase.

Gordo, if you haven't got KOH, you can use ordinary caustic-soda. It will speed up the process and cut down of the bad smell.

Gordo, if you haven't got KOH, you can use ordinary caustic-soda. It will speed up the process and cut down of the bad smell.

We can't get any chemicals in while the river is up because the planes wont fly with it. Funnily enough for completely differnt reasons the school has an order of KOH sitting in storage at Jabiru School because the pilots refused to take it on the 12 1/2 minute flight across the river.

Funnily enough for completely differnt reasons the school has an order of KOH sitting in storage at Jabiru School because the pilots refused to take it on the 12 1/2 minute flight across the river.

What's weird. KOH is a strong alkali in a crystal (flaky) form, it's not corrosive, inflammable or explosive, what can go wrong on the plane?

What's weird. KOH is a strong alkali in a crystal (flaky) form, it's not corrosive, inflammable or explosive, what can go wrong on the plane?

I'm quite happy for the pilots to devote the small ammount of common sense they have to keeping the planes in the air than have to think about chemicals lol.

What can i find caustic soda in?

I've eaten farmed meat before, tastes just like chicken just a little tougher. Because these ones feed mainly on fish they would taste more like fish... or camp dogs lol. But my dog turning his nose up at it... really weirds me out. He even took the bone out of his bowl, put it outside and then went and finished the rest of his dinner.

But i would definately encourage people to eat farmed meat, it helps prop up the industry and helps to fund research. Delicious and for a good cause!

LOL yea your dogs reaction has me thinking I'll stay away from it still:), but plenty of people eat it,I think it's a favourite with the tourists here.

cheers
Scott

LOL yea your dogs reaction has me thinking I'll stay away from it still:), but plenty of people eat it,I think it's a favourite with the tourists here.

cheers
Scott

Just went to our community store and they have run out of meat for the next two days... so it's either vego for the next two days or have a go at the croc... Not sure which is worse lol.

Are those Knives Victorinox fibrox with microban? If so they shouldn't be to hard to get an edge on. What are you sharpening them with?

Great post by the way

when i was a little kid the neighbours had a croc head.. skin teeth.. eyes.. ect on their coffee table.. we used to dare each other to touch the inside of the mouth but none of us would cause ya no those things can bite haha

Got a nice strong seasoning to make croc curry? I'm thinking green Thai style might be reasonable. Funny about the dog. At would really make you think twice!

Hey Gordo, if its blown the jaw and ear piece away you've got no hope glueing it back together. Shattered fragments etc, etc. The cheapest and easiest way to fix it is to use car bodyfiller and mould a piece in your hand. Not to much hardener, so you've got a chance to mould it, and then file it into shape. Sounds like some stuffin' around, but easier than making a glass mould, then a negative mould, then a positive mould, then filing that, and then painting it, and then trying to fit it! Looking good so far though! And it's the old story, you eat what you kill!:D:D;)

Are those Knives Victorinox fibrox with microban? If so they shouldn't be to hard to get an edge on. What are you sharpening them with?

Great post by the way

No they're f-dick knives. I can't afford a good 2nd hand oil stone so i'm just using a peice of 800grit wet and dry on a piece of slate. I'll get a good edge back... just may take a while.

Hey Gordo, if its blown the jaw and ear piece away you've got no hope glueing it back together. Shattered fragments etc, etc. The cheapest and easiest way to fix it is to use car bodyfiller and mould a piece in your hand. Not to much hardener, so you've got a chance to mould it, and then file it into shape. Sounds like some stuffin' around, but easier than making a glass mould, then a negative mould, then a positive mould, then filing that, and then painting it, and then trying to fit it! Looking good so far though! And it's the old story, you eat what you kill!:D:D;)

It's a large chunk, the part where the lower jaw attaches to it is all intact. You can see the bullet hole in the pic below and i've highlighted the area that has been blown out in another pic below (except on the other side).

Photo012.jpg

SaltWaterCroc.jpg

I've got alot of time to think about it but i'm thinking that if i can align the bottom jaw back to the skull, then i will be able to realign the chunk back to the jaw bone and then i should be able to fill any areas that have fragments missing with some kind of filler. Or does it not work like that?

Yeah but i got myself all ready and wound up to take them on! And no one has :(. Well i guess there is a first time for everything, even common sense amongst APS members lol.

Why the hell would you shoot a native animal, it has every right to be there. People should have fences up to stop the crocs getting in, not recless shooting of them ;)

Why the hell would you shoot a native animal, it has every right to be there. People should have fences up to stop the crocs getting in, not recless shooting of them ;)

Lol Gillsy, there is one bloke who i was really anticipating some abuse from. This bloke is genuine eco terroris, every time i post a picture of anything dead (outside the ordinary rats and mice) I cop some 'serious' threats of violence from him lol. Usually he even takes the time to face book abuse me too haha. Wayne... where are you?

LOL Yeah I think I know who you are talking about, I still like the road kill thread and the people on that.

Its always interesting that the so called 'they have a right to be there crew" all live very far away from the crocs??????
Good to see the community is being kept safe

Easy enough to fix Gordo, if it's only taken the top hinge out. Glue what you can and then use filler to patch the rest. Use a blunt pencil[or stick] to recreate the dents in the bone. Just a hint, go for cream filler, not pink, for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back