another croc shot at school this morning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Pics, But howcome all these crocs had to be shot, I understand they were near residential areas and a school, but why cant someone come in and tranq them and take em to a wildlife sanctuary or something ? And where in australia is this? I Cant figure it out lols

1. It would be very very very expensive to take them out of the community. We're flooded in and they would either need to be stored for another 3 months or flown out.
2. If they were all sent to a wildlife sanctuary they would be over flowing with crocodiles. There would have to be hundreds shot like these every year, let alone those trapped in Darwin Harbour and the Darwin suburbs which are sent to croc farms.
3. Gunbalanya is the Indigenous name for Oenpelli, we are in Arnhem Land.

As bad as it may seem, crocs need to.................Nup, i think I'll keep this one to myself. Good work though Gordo. Did you keep your stomach down!

Just went to our community store and they have run out of meat for the next two days... so it's either vego for the next two days or have a go at the croc... Not sure which is worse lol.

LOL in that case waruikazi I think I might be tempted to finally try it LOL.:D

As bad as it may seem, crocs need to.................Nup, i think I'll keep this one to myself. Good work though Gordo. Did you keep your stomach down!

I have the strongest guts around, unless somethign squishy gets between my toes i'm all good!

LOL in that case waruikazi I think I might be tempted to finally try it LOL.:D

I did try it, they are big water bags hey. I cooked it up in a curry, tried a little and then gave it to the dog lol. I just couldn't handle the smell.

LOL how did the dog go with it curried did he eat it this time. One of the cafes here tried croc steaks one day I watched a bloke trying to eat one it looked like he was chewing a boot. I think they put it in the mincer after that for burgers lol.:D
cheers
Scott

He did eat it when it was cooked in the curry. The meat had so much water in it that after i fried the meat (like you do before you stick it in your curries) i had to go outside and tip the fluid out into the garden. By volume i recon it would have reduced by about half.

I think it was just that it was a big beast. I recon a smaller one would go alright. I even took a photo of how much fluid came out of the stuff, it was ridiculous and smelly :lol:.

Photo020.jpg

That wasn't even properly cooked yet either, even more came out.

That is a heap of water. Size and age could be where the strong smell came from older beef is smelly particularly bull.

Well, at least the dog ate the curry... Had some fish like that the other night - so much water came out that there wasn't much left and it was way too chewy. Perhaps your croc had been eating its cousins. I'm having a nice beef provencal casserole tonight - just to make you jealous! I would send some up, but it would not survive the flight :( Fresh baked bread,too ;). It is cool enough in Sydney to cook like that tonight.

Righto!

I soaked the skull in water for 7 weeks. When i emptied the water a week ago i was left with an earthy green coloured skull. After sitting in the air for a while it quickly turned to a normal bone colour. But it still stank like dead stuff.

Photo040.jpg

Then i soaked it for a couple hours in a 10% bleach solution, it still stinks but not so bad anymore. This is pic of gently filling the tub with water and bleach so the teeth wouldn't get washed out.

Photo042.jpg

I forgot to get pics of the missing chunks and damage the bullet caused to the skull (which was significant). I spent a few h ours last night gluing it all back together. From soaking in the water the parts had warped a bit and didn't fit together quite right, you can kind of see it in this pic. I used a flexible glue, it seems to be working.

Photo051.jpg

The croc must have been relatively young because all of the bones hadn't fused in the lower jaw, that was a bit of a headache fitting back together. I haven't glued them together, just left the top jaw and the teeth to hold it all tight. But this is the end product. I think it looks quite nice!

Photo050.jpg

Photo048.jpg

Photo049.jpg

Well done! I know who to call next time I shoot a croc (like that's going to happen...) Did you use potassium hydroxide in the water you used for the 7-week soak? The bleach certainly made it look prettier. Maybe a good airing will help with the residual smell.

Next time try "caustic soda" cleaner (sodium hydroxide). They can't refuse a cleaning product, can they? Ammonia or a base like NaOH in the soaking water will help remove some of the fats in the marrow cavities which are giving that residual smell.

Next time try "caustic soda" cleaner (sodium hydroxide). They can't refuse a cleaning product, can they? Ammonia or a base like NaOH in the soaking water will help remove some of the fats in the marrow cavities which are giving that residual smell.

Well it was cleaning stuff... so maybe they can???

I've been thinking about the problems you are having with eating their flesh re: water content and smell.

Cube it into 2cm dice and coat with salt and place in a sieve/rice strainer and place on a plate in the fridge over night.

The salt will help draw the moisture out of the flesh, rinse flesh and pat dry with clean paper towels.
Know will know it's worked because the cubes will shrink in size and you'll have liquid on the plate under the sieve.

I've been thinking about the problems you are having with eating their flesh re: water content and smell.

Cube it into 2cm dice and coat with salt and place in a sieve/rice strainer and place on a plate in the fridge over night.

The salt will help draw the moisture out of the flesh, rinse flesh and pat dry with clean paper towels.
Know will know it's worked because the cubes will shrink in size and you'll have liquid on the plate under the sieve.

But in half that time i could go and buy some chicken and make an even more delicious curry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back