Another few of "Boris".

• Thread starter imported_Varanus
  • Start date
Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

Here's a few from today's "outing". No surgery required on the jaw, the mandible's dislocated, but he's feeding well. The daily exercise has seen a marked improvement in his coordination, no tongue flicking, but his sense of smell seems good as he's able to pick up the trail of my females hours after they've been in the area, now reacting well to the slightest movement (right eye only) and reacts to some sounds. At last fecal float the vet could find no eggs present, following on from a worming out. Still a few ticks, but they're next on the hit list.

Also, he's calming down really quickly and no longer gapes or hisses:)!

Attachments

• Boris 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    Boris 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    171 KB · Views: 107
  • Boris 023 [1600x1200].jpg
    Boris 023 [1600x1200].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 105
  • Boris 028 [1600x1200].jpg
    Boris 028 [1600x1200].jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Boris 033 [1600x1200].jpg
    Boris 033 [1600x1200].jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 100
Must be the week for good news, Baz, first your Tiger, now Boris:)!

IV, he really is looking good now, proof of all your time, energy, love and effort! An absolute credit to you, well done! :)

Hoping he keeps going on the up for you both! :)

All the best,
Carolyn

Interesting link between our head injury monitors mate with the no tongue and the blindness (or part blind in your case).

They can calm down quite quickly with work, too. I think overall its a part of the survival mechanism, scared at first of the new smells, sounds, people etc, but then realizing it doesn't hurt, it provides food, and all is good. Though after winter when he was just basking and hiding, there was very little to no contact, and he became wary and hissy again, but again settled into it. One of our guys has a very large lacie which is close to 2metres and you can pat it, grab its feet to look at it claws, he can even open its lips to show trainees the teeth without it getting cranky. Its blind in one eye, but has tongue working.
But still, not too be trusted fully!

IV How do you go about removing ticks off a beast such as this one?. I take it you don't just grab a pair of tweezers, box of matches and sit down tapping your hands on your knees calling "come here buddy, sit down, that's a good lacie"....

They can calm down quite quickly with work, too. I think overall its a part of the survival mechanism, scared at first of the new smells, sounds, people etc, but then realizing it doesn't hurt, it provides food, and all is good.

I'm amazed, especially with a wild Lacie, how calm he has become in a very short time, though I suspect some of this may be due to his possible brain injury, and I'm pleased he can have a break now from all the x rays, needles and man handling. I think that's also contributed somewhat. The thing that's really been impressive, as you mentioned in your PM, is his regaining of coordination. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks:)! It's almost like he's "rewiring" his own brain. He rarely seems to make the same mistake twice (like stepping on his own feet while walking, or over extending and putting a claw in his ear while climbing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back