Another hatchling feeding question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenyseT

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been dealt with before but I've had a search and can't find what I'm looking for.
I have a 7 month old children's python that has refused feeds for the last 3 weeks. He did shed about 10 days ago so I assumed it was just a pre shed refusal but I have offered twice since then and he's still refusing. Temps seem ok with a gradient of 32-24 ambient, on a heat mat so floor gets a little warmer ( thermostat set on 35 ). He gets handled roughly every second day for about 10 minutes and is extremely calm and not at all snappy so I assume he's not too stressed to eat, although I did leave him alone for 3 days prior to offering a feed today just in case it was stress. The only other thing I can think of is that his last feed was very messy. The fuzzy busted and he ended up having to go for a swim to wash himself. Could this have turned him off?? Previous to this he fed without problem every 7 days.
Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong? I understand some go off food through winter but does that still happen even if temps are kept constant? Also how long should I leave it between offerings? I don't want to stress him out by shoving mice at him every second day. How long can he go without eating before I start worrying?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What time of the day are you measuring the temps? Check them early of a morning,you may be surprised that they are too low.

In the meantime don't handle it at all.

Last edited:
They can go off food without any change in their enclosure temps despite keeping them constant. It's just an internal clock. If he has been taking a lot of feeds prior to this than three weeks without feeding is not a worry. Certainly don't try feeding him every second day if he isn't interested, you will just stress him out. It may seem tempting to try defrosting food that often to try and get him to eat but it will be more beneficial if you just leave him alone and don't handle him.

You aren't doing anything 'wrong' persay. Try bumping up the ambient air temps to around 26-27 if you can and try him again in a week and a half. If your mouse busted you may be defrosting it water that is to hot. Do it in cooler water over a longer period of time. You should be able to place your fingers in the water without scolding yourself.

Last edited:
What time of the day are you measuring the temps? Check them early of a morning,you may be surprised that they are too low.

In the meantime don't handle it at all.

I've been checking them regularly through out the day. The cold end drops a bit at night but the warm end is staying pretty consistent at around 31-32 ambient. When the weather started to cool down, I moved the click clack into a wooden box just to insulate a bit better and I'm covering with a towel at night.

Ok I'll stop handling.

Thanks Varanoidea, that makes sense. Appreciate the advice :)

try upping it's food size from fuzzy mice to fuzzy or weaner rats, you could also try covering it up with no peeking for a week or 10 days then try again, but deffinately fuzzy mice are too small for a 7 month old Childreni. :) ..................................Ron

try upping it's food size from fuzzy mice to fuzzy or weaner rats, you could also try covering it up with no peeking for a week or 10 days then try again, but deffinately fuzzy mice are too small for a 7 month old Childreni. :) ..................................Ron

He only went from pinky to fuzzy at the end of April ( from feeding records from breeder ) and I can't imagine him being able to down anything much bigger. I'll give it a go though. Thanks :)

He only went from pinky to fuzzy at the end of April ( from feeding records from breeder ) and I can't imagine him being able to down anything much bigger. I'll give it a go though. Thanks :)

Our children's is about 7 months too. Our local snake guru whom I buy food from suggested I go to pinkie rats. I took a look at the size and thought "he's never gonna get that down", but I trust this guy and figured at worst he'd just refuse it. Wow. I'm simply amazed at just how big that jaw can go, it's pretty damn incredible. Also the most enthusiastic I'd ever seen him feed.

Give it a go, you might be surprised, and at worst he'll just refuse again.

Our children's is about 7 months too. Our local snake guru whom I buy food from suggested I go to pinkie rats. I took a look at the size and thought "he's never gonna get that down", but I trust this guy and figured at worst he'd just refuse it. Wow. I'm simply amazed at just how big that jaw can go, it's pretty damn incredible. Also the most enthusiastic I'd ever seen him feed.

Give it a go, you might be surprised, and at worst he'll just refuse again.

I'll definitely try increasing size. Thanks for the input :) I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back