another newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swaddo

Reaction score
Hi All

Another newbie here looking to get my first snake. I've had a soft spot for them for a while but so far haven't gotten around to doing anything about it, so now I've bitten the bullet and am about to send off the license application :lol:

I'm completely new to keeping snakes so if anyone could point me toward a herp group in the ACT it would be greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be any contact information on the ACT Herpetological Association page.

I get out in the bush (fishing) a fair bit and stumble across quite a few of these little guys in my travels (python is probably a better starting point though ;) )

Cheers
Blake

2004_1107fishing0025.JPG

2005_0116Buckenderra0037.JPG

Hi Blake and Welcome to APS
There is some info on my website that might help - in the ACT you first need to hold a lic for a lizard and after 2 years you can get a snake.

Thanks for the info Auzlizardking. I've had a good look over your site over the past few days and it's been very helpful.

As for the license, I lived in the ACT for 10 years, but lucky for me i just recently moved just over the border in NSW. I've checked it all out and (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe I simply need to fill out the application form and write a cheque for $60?

Cheers
Blake

Last edited:
Well in that case you are ok to have a snake on your NSW lic.
Funny how a state surrounded by other makes you wait two years to get a snake but maybe that's not a bad thing.

Also ring them in a week and see if they have done the paper work and if so they will give you your lic no over the phone.

Hmm that last comment sounds kind of flippant. I should add that I've wanted a to keep a snake or 2 since the 70's when my primary teacher brought his carpet python to school (and it pee'd all over my desk :evil:) . I've been looking forward to doing this for many years and it is only recently that my better half has agreed to let me do it.

Paperwork is complete, just needs mailing off :lol:

Cheers
Blake

I have seen some people get reptiles for the wrong reason but it looks like you have been doing some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back