Another snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
South East QLD. I just googled "rough scaled snake" and it says that it flattens its body when threatened - exactly what it did when it saw us coming. Seems like that's the answer

EDIT: didn't see the other posts when I put up my reply - now I'm just not sure :/

just what i was about to say, look at his smile

Well if it is a keelback, that would be a huge relief!! Rough scaled snakes sound pretty venomous

It will be either a keelback or a rough scaled snake I would keep my distance just in case it is a rough scaled snake

We were just worried about the proximity of it to the house - it's disappeared now

Lol, a website says it is often confused with a rough scaled snake (and vice versa)

Thats good it shouldn't be hiding inside your pillow so you should be safe lol

Roughies and keelbacks look VERY similar in the way they look and act and where they live. But I reckon its a keelback.

I thought the patterns looked beautiful, yes. We also live near a large river and creek system, and have plenty of frogs - which apparently (thank you google) is what they like. So I'll stick to keelback, but I won't go near it all the same :)

If you find another, be careful anyway as it could be a rough next time and if you get bitten go to the hospital because you dont know what it may be.

If you find another, be careful anyway as it could be a rough next time and if you get bitten go to the hospital because you dont know what it may be.

We never go near/touch any wild snakes or assume how dangerous it is (treat them all like they're dangerous) - we used to get a few red bellies and we still see browns, so we just let them mosey around and mind their own business

We never go near/touch any wild snakes or assume how dangerous it is (treat them all like they're dangerous) - we used to get a few red bellies and we still see browns, so we just let them mosey around and mind their own business
Good to hear :) Theres some people who assume that a venomous snake t's a green tree snake or something, and stupidly try to pick it up. So congrats for not being one of those people ;) :)

Good to hear :) Theres some people who assume that a venomous snake t's a green tree snake or something, and stupidly try to pick it up. So congrats for not being one of those people ;) :)

Prime candidates for the Darwin Awards! :)

Next time you see it, see if you can take a photo or just see the scales between the nostril and the eye. If it has a star like scalature it is a Roughy, if it has a line between the nostril and eye from a single scale (Loreal scale) then it is probably a Keelback. Be very careful because Roughys are highly venomous and if you are not 100% sure, treat it as if it WERE a Rough Scaled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back