Antaresia Perthensis - the 'baby' of the family!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilife

Reaction score
I am becoming very interested in the Pygmy Python.
Before I go and start searching for available specimens, I thought I would try and obtain some opinions from within the APS wealth of knowledge.....

Has anyone here kept the species? Are they hardy in captivity? Easy feeders & handlers? Any particular husbandry requirements come to mind?

I think they are just lovely and I love all the Antaresia family.
So, people.... why should I NOT buy some?

where do you plan on getting them from ??

They are becoming increasingly common in captivity these days, with several available on RDU.

I haven't kept them, but once feeding, they seem straight forward.

where do you plan on getting them from ??

I think Pilbara pythons QLD and reptiles down under used to sell them... Another one of those snakes that the rest of Australia can keep. But WA can't, even though they are from here.... It's just funny now :) I think a positive of it is that a lot of WA species have been proven to be good captives. Without this the DEC could simply say that they aren't suitable captivity, like they do with a lot of animals we wanted added to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep and breed them. I currently have eggs incubating. As hatchlings they do require a bit more attention as they initially require assist feeding with parts of mouse tails, but once they are on pinkies and as adults I have had no problems with them.

m
I think Pilbara pythons QLD and reptiles down under used to sell them... Another one of those snakes that the rest of Australia can keep. But WA can't, even though they are from here.... It's just funny now :) I think a positive of it is that a lot of WA species have been proven to be good captives. Without this the DEC could simply say that they aren't suitable captivity, like they do with a lot of animals we wanted added to the list.

I hate WA law!

Yeah the people making the laws in WA need a good look at themselves....

Laws in some states are really odd. Crocodiles are illegal in QLD, where they are native. However, they are legal in VIC where they are NOT native :?

Hmmmm.
Thanks for the replies Guys, especially those that keep them.
After reading everything I can find about them, I have come to the conclusion that I am not an experienced enough keeper to attempt this species - especially raising hatchies, which is what I really wanted to do. I think the Perthensis require an experienced and dedicated keeper. Kudos to those of you who successfully breed and raise these great little Guys.

Reptilife,

Just to 'wet' your
appetite!

Attachments

• P1010103.jpg
    P1010103.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 137
  • P1010105.jpg
    P1010105.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 138
You can always get a young pair and enjoy them. You don't have to 'breed' them until you have enough experience with other antaresias. You won't regret it.

You don't have to breed them at all...

Correct. That is what I ultimately meant. I know a few people that will only 'have' one of a species, just to enjoy them.
Not everyone thinks of the $$$ signs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got 2 pairs but I've only had them for a few months and they're around 2 years old so I didn't have to go through any tricky feeding. Awesome little snakes with no issues so far. Also, there are quite a few patternless ones around and they don't seem to cost much more than the standard patterned pygmy, if you prefer that look.

Correct. That is what ultimately mean. I know a few people that will only 'have' one of a species, just to enjoy them.
Not everyone thinks of the $$$ signs.
Oh yes I realize this. I breed show dogs and understand there is rarely a real profit to be made anyway!
I have 7 species of herps and I don't breed any of them.
I just would really 'like' to have a clutch of babies some day and I love the Perthensis and thought being such a manageable size (for handling & housing adults and hatchies) they may be the ideal choice for me.
They are just beautiful. Love their colours (similar to my Vizsla dogs!) and I just love the smaller pythons.
It's just that due to space, if I want to have another species of snak it will require housing within a snake rack type set up, and I think a smaller species (Antaresia - especially the Perthensis) would be best for this......

They are really lovely
I really like them....
and I agree with you reptilife....I am the same have bred thoroughbred staffords and only just managed to break even...and only because I had luck where I had never had a cesarean. I have two atherton jungles I bought a female and went back and bought myself a male.....because I thought maybe one day I might like to breed...but I may never end up having baby snakes...but it is nice to ahve that option. I think if i had a clutch it would be to breed something for myself first and the other brothers and sisters would be available for sale....just because I cant keep them all.

Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back