Antaresias and NSW Fauna Dealers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipidee

Reaction score
My apologies if this has come up already, but this is NUTS! I've just seen the list of species which NSW licensed fauna dealers (ie pet shops) will be able to sell. This is the list: Reptile species that can be traded by a licensed fauna dealer in NSW | NSW Environment & Heritage. Now unless I'm going blind, a pet shop can sell a Childrenii or a Maccie, but not a Stimmy. Can someone explain to me how that makes sense? You can keep a Stimmy on a NSW Companion licence, but you can't buy one from a licensed dealer. AND an inexperienced new licensee can go into a pet shop and buy a less predictable first pet, such as a Jungle (nothing against Jungles of course!) Who's running this joint? Honestly. :x

I thought that was odd as well. They are no more complicated/complex to look after then other antaresia species. I suspect the list will grow and grow as months go on.

They had to start somewhere. I am sure the list will grow with time as additional feedback is received. Many keepers, both new and old, would have difficulty distinguishing between a stimmy and chilrens anyway.

Many keepers, both new and old, would have difficulty distinguishing between a stimmy and chilrens anyway.
I'm sure that's right. Many experts struggle to tell some of the Childrenii forms from the eastern Stimmys (MacDonald Ranges, Alice Springs, NW NSW). It just seems like a major oversight, when the three most common Antaresia species are on the "Companion" list for keepers, but only two are available for sale.

A lot of stimmies will suddenly turn into children's me thinks. Much like all the Tanami woma's suddenly became RHD's overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back