Ants have moved in!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozphobia

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Some very small black ants (definitely ants not mites) have moved into one of the the logs in my jungles enclosure. The log is secured in and can't be removed too easily.

I obviously can't spray the enclosure with mortein surface to kill them, I was leaning toward moving Charlie (the snake) into a click clack and hanging a pest strip in there for 24 hours, then ventilating for another 24.

Does anyone know or done this before? Does the pest strip kill ants?

Cheers
John

You can try ant baits - and perhaps still move the snake.

Ant baits are around $4 - $5 from Coles or the like and other animals are unable to enter the bait station other than ants.

It normally kills entire colonies in two - three days and you get 4 stations to destroy other colonies from moving in.

I am unsure what will happen if you leave the snake and ants together - but i am sure they're not that communal!

TOD = Top of Descent, aircraft grade insecticide available from all good herp supply shops. Safe for herps, just remove their food & water bowl.

TOD Question

Thanks,

I have heard of that one, but I don't have any, I'll order some in.

Cheers
John

Ants rarely bother snakes actually, they have no exposed skin, hard scales over their eyes and no ear holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back