ants...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mackah

Reaction score
hey just wondering if anyone knows where to find different types of ants (bull ants, red ants etc) me and also a friend wanna get a colony from a supplier rather then finding them and trying to find the queens. if anyone has some info it would be greatly appreciated

Come to my house ...I got heaps inside they're driving me mental ....being so dry, they are looking for water ...so my kitchen and bathrooms have been takin over by these critters....

Check out minibeast wildlife, they're based in Bacchus Marsh I think, and they're responsible for the Bugs Alive exhibit at Melbourne Museum.

Come to my house ...I got heaps inside they're driving me mental ....being so dry, they are looking for water ...so my kitchen and bathrooms have been takin over by these critters....

was gonna say the same thing :S they are driving me up the walls!!! :shock::lol:

Check out minibeast wildlife, they're based in Bacchus Marsh I think, and they're responsible for the Bugs Alive exhibit at Melbourne Museum.

I don't think they sell ant colonies as it's a lot of hassle to collect and establish them in captivity.

As far as I know you're only chance is getting them yourself. The collection method at the muse is using a hand held vaccum cleaner with the end modified into a tube (so individual ants are targeted) and sucking them up as the colony is dug up. Obviously getting the queen is the hard part (whilst avoiding being stung), the queen is usually a slightly larger ant and most often hangs out near the eggs or young larvae. Once you get your ants make sure whatever you keep them in is lined with silicone spray or oil to stop the ants climbing the walls and getting out.
Alternatively if you find a newely mated queen that's just lost her wings you can try setting her up with some wood or something to go under and see if she'll lay on her own.
Feed your ants honey and if larvae are present add dead insects which the workers will collect and feed to them.

I haven't managed to find anywhere in australia who will supply me with any ant colony, i have always gone and got my own... althogh i have never dug for the queen which is the only way you will make your colony last morth than a few months.
ren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back