Anxiety and my snake...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottencore

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have anxiety problems that have become serious to the point where I am scared of my snake and can not have him near me for more than a few seconds. I know this may not be a subject that you guys usually hear about, but it worries me that I suddenly have developed this phobia of something so passive...

Any advice on what I can do? (I am having therapy; so not that...)

anxiety is something i have dealt with for the last 3 years now. and am on some heavy medication to help me control it. so i can completley understand how u feel, however i havnt had the problem being anxious or scared around my reptiles. is it anxiety that has only just started, or hav u always had it

use a reptile bag to pick up your snake....
put the bag on your lap... this wont cause stress to you snake either

pm me if you want

Slow reintroduction is requirred with another person holding the snake. You need to familiarise youself with the snake and something else that you associiate with being confortable with. One method that sounds a bit out there is to get a plate of your favorite food and get a freind to bring the snake over to you. you look at the snake until you get anxious then you look at the food and smell it triggering a positive response then you look back at the snake etc etc.
I have suffered from a different type of anxiety previously where i couldnt sleep due to what i describe as infinate space infront of me where i cant focus or grasp anything. Its terrifying in the dark when it hits its like not being able to see land when you on a boat but freaking you out.
I found St John's wort helps me lower my anxiety levels without drugs ,go visit you chemist and speak to them and se if its suitable for you. Regards

What is it exactly that you're afraid of about the snake? if you can pinpoint that you can work on fixing it

Very sound advice cracks ;) ...intelligent answer! I have suffered from anxiety for a few years now and no offense to anyone who has is...but it's all about strengthening your mind ...
I found that if something was overwhelming me to the point of having an attack, I'd step back for a minute and clear my mind then when relaxed enough I would go back and try again.
I kept pushing myself until the fear of what ever it was at the time freaking me out just vanished

I was a lot younger at the time and unfortunately couldnt control my emotions etc very well. i found that it was usually triggered by something usually pressure and stress. My older Bro died when i started high school and the anxiety started about the same time.

Yeh I don't think it's something you can foresee or control from happening especially at a younger age also everyone reacts/copes with things differently. Pressure and stress are 2 of the main causes for anxiety imo... The brain can only deal with so much ;)

In your intro thread, you said you decided to 'get a snake because i am terrified of them, and i think it is the best way to get over my fear.'
You then went on to say 'now I'm completely over the fear'

Can you remember what helped you then?

In your intro thread, you said you decided to 'get a snake because i am terrified of them, and i think it is the best way to get over my fear.'

Wow! What a strange reason to get a snake!

Have you got someone who can help you? it's important that the snake is looked after well.

Yes very true if you don't feel that you can get over the fear/anxiety of your snake quite quickly!...For the snakes best interest perhaps you should look into giving him to someone who can care for him...especially as your now in therapy from it :shock:

When i was younger a family freind was a Hypnotherapist and i spent a bit of time their playing with his Butterfly dogs. He used to cure people of the urge to smoke. One method he used was to put them "under" then get a container with a large sponge and fill it with water, he would then make them lift the sponge and squeeze it out. he would then say to them that it was a lung and you were sqeezing all the tar out of it . It was A very successful method.
Maybe a hypno might be able to help!

Sad to see someone scared of a murry darling python, they are almost dog passive.

If you got anxiety problems, play some scary video games like bioshock thats one of my favorites, build some tolerance!

anxiety is something i have dealt with for the last 3 years now. and am on some heavy medication to help me control it. so i can completley understand how u feel, however i havnt had the problem being anxious or scared around my reptiles. is it anxiety that has only just started, or hav u always had it

It was mild for most of my life then became severe after I got into early adulthood.

Slow reintroduction is requirred with another person holding the snake. You need to familiarise youself with the snake and something else that you associiate with being confortable with. One method that sounds a bit out there is to get a plate of your favorite food and get a freind to bring the snake over to you. you look at the snake until you get anxious then you look at the food and smell it triggering a positive response then you look back at the snake etc etc.
I have suffered from a different type of anxiety previously where i couldnt sleep due to what i describe as infinate space infront of me where i cant focus or grasp anything. Its terrifying in the dark when it hits its like not being able to see land when you on a boat but freaking you out.
I found St John's wort helps me lower my anxiety levels without drugs ,go visit you chemist and speak to them and se if its suitable for you. Regards

The problem with that is; my favourite food is usually things containing meat, I heard they bite if they smell meat...

What is it exactly that you're afraid of about the snake? if you can pinpoint that you can work on fixing it

I've just become real flinchy, I fear sudden movements and being bitten I know it doesn't hurt it's just never happen so I don't know what I'm fearing it's like the saying goes; "you have nothing to fear but fear itself". But it's what anxiety about; you have a fear of uncomfortable situations more than anything.

Drazzy, thats really harsh, you cant just BUILD tolerance with these sort of things! I would say maybe try so bach remidies to try and help they are a flower essence you can take as much as once as hour, it would be a good thing to try these while around you snake to try and calm your self befor handling it, you will know when your ready to hold it. It just takes time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back