Any Aquarium/fish enthusiasts? need help with fish id

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hello all
i am in need of an id of what i think is some sort of goby it is freshwater as it lives with my guppies i have searched the web and a lot of forums but havent found any that look like it
sorry these are the best pics i can get at the moment little buggers wont stay still lol
unknown fish.jpg

unknownfis.jpg

unknownfish1.jpg

unown fish1.jpg

unown fish2.jpg

I'm assuming its native. I f so do you know were it was caught. I'd look through the gudgeon species and books containing photos on freshwater natives. Gunther Scmeider or Schneider (his name is close to that if I'm not correct) has a fairly comprehensive range of pictures of native fish so any publications or sites with his works would be a good starting point.

I'm assuming its native. I f so do you know were it was caught. I'd look through the gudgeon species and books containing photos on freshwater natives. Gunther Scmeider or Schneider (his name is close to that if I'm not correct) has a fairly comprehensive range of pictures of native fish so any publications or sites with his works would be a good starting point.

thank you yeah im pretty sure its native lol i caught it in a damn/waterway in port macquarie i quite like them

I was into natives when I was a teenager and caught several types of gudgeons (purple spotted, firetail, empire etc). I am reasonably confident you will find its from that family. If you work it out post it up on this thread, I'm curious to find out.

I was into natives when I was a teenager and caught several types of gudgeons (purple spotted, firetail, empire etc). I am reasonably confident you will find its from that family. If you work it out post it up on this thread, I'm curious to find out.

no worries :) thanks for your help! oh i didnt know pruple spotteds and firetails were natives lol

One of the many gudgeons, as it gets bigger you're guppies will start to disappear lol. I'm not familiar with the East Coast varieties. Could be a juvie or one of the dwarf/ pygmy varieties.

I agree its a gudgeon in the same family as firetails and empire gudgeons or a goby but they are closely related, it MIGHT be a juvnile purple spotted gudgeon but i doubt it... Sadly all my fish ID books are at uni, otherwise i'd look it up.
Although several gudgeons grow quite big, there are also many that have a maximum length of 3-10cm. My guess is that what you have is a smaller variety.

Last edited:
I used to catch those (or something just about identical) in the Hawkesbury river. I think they're some sort of goby that requires brackish water though, as they never seemed to last long in a full fresh tank :(

lol my ones are in full freshwater living with live plants anubias, java moss, lol
ITs A fijian freshwater goby That is the only thing it comes close to definately not a guddeon as gudgeons are more robust and have bigger heads and this fish has the classic little sucker fin things that bumblee gobies have they dont grow that big either 4 to 6 cm's

thanks kinda looks like it but my ones are alot smaller and havent really grown even thought they have been smashing down blackworms,bloodworms, mosquito larvae flakes and pellets. and the ones i have have a dorsal type fin that's red and yellow
cant really see it in the pics its pretty bright

Ok this then Largemouth Goby, Redigobius macrostoma - Australian Museum
Otherwise we're all out of ideas. Fish that normally thrive in a vast expanse of estuary or rivers will sometimes be stunted so may not grow to full size in a tank etc. Also fish living within a community can sometimes be stunted and won't reach full size unless conditions are optimal. Anyway I'm sure you know all of that. Great little fish to find, hope it's kind to your guppies!

Ok this then Largemouth Goby, Redigobius macrostoma - Australian Museum
Otherwise we're all out of ideas. Fish that normally thrive in a vast expanse of estuary or rivers will sometimes be stunted so may not grow to full size in a tank etc. Also fish living within a community can sometimes be stunted and won't reach full size unless conditions are optimal. Anyway I'm sure you know all of that. Great little fish to find, hope it's kind to your guppies!

omg lol thats it! the same fish i was looking at and on the site said it was a fijian goby lol
thanks very much!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back