Any bird/magpie experts around??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junglepython2

These were taken the other day of a magpie in my backyard. Seemed to be an adult bird and didn't appear to have red eyes. Anyone seen any similar to this girl or would like to comment?

Attachments

• magpie2.jpg
    magpie2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 242
  • magpie3.jpg
    magpie3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 181
Perhaps you could sent the pic to a bird watching society to have it identified. I guy that used to work at Taronga Zoo named Dion Hobcroft would know what it is. He knows everything there is to know about birds, yet he worked in the reptile department. Havn't spoken to him for years though and i'm pretty sure he doesn't work at Taronga anymore.

Its a magpie, not a true albino though. We had a similar coloured Red-tailed Black Cocky up here a while ago, and I've also seen this mutation in feral sparrows.
The cinnamon wash over the usually black regions shows that while it IS deficient in structrural colour, Its not an albino (also has normal coulour on its beak).

If Its too small to be a magpie, it may be a type of Butcherbird, But the colour distribution appears to be consistent with most magpies.

Special thanks to Google, i think i have Dion's email address. This guy is an absolute authority on birds and i'm sure he'd be very interested to see that pic and hear the details of where it was taken. His email address is [email protected] .

Thanks MrB, email sent will see what he has to say.

And rednut that's what I expected, never thought it was a true albino interesting non the less and its definitly not a butcherbird.

its no albino but a magpie for sure, possibly leucistic?

Apologies for the grammar in my first post. Shame, shame, shame... :oops:

It's definitly a magpie and there is no other aussie bird in the same family anyway.

Magpies and butcher birds are from the same family.

it may be a type of Butcherbird, But the colour distribution appears to be consistent with most magpies.

Butcher birds have a curved beak tip.

Nice find though, certainly different to the norm.

It's a magpie, white ones turn up every know but this one is a ripper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back