Any help.. Blue tounge!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melinda

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have gotten myself a blue toung and have to set up the tank.. (Long story to why not set up first) anyway I need to know exactly what I need.. like sand, is there a type I need to get and lights (where do I get them?) I only really know about what to feed them so any help would be great..

Thanks all

Melinda

You shoulda done this research before hand, but I think you'll find a Blue tongue lizard caresheet some where here

??? I dont understand...haha did I say I was new to all this....

yes but what im saying is you shoulda done some google searchs before buying your Bluey

I will explain the curcumstances of why I have done no research.. Just so you dont think I am silly.. HAHAHAHA

Ok a week ago i found a blue toung in my backyard, after 3 days of making sure he had water he tried to come inside. I picked him up as he looked injured and took him to the vets. The vet was unsure on wether he was wild or not. I contacted wildlife aust and took him to their reptile guy who said he was def not wild and that his type doesn't come from my area. Since I dont have a licence I was told originally I couldn't keep him. I asked they guy if I got a licence could I have him back as he was sure he wouldn't find a home as he has a deformaty. He has taken the record of him and my details and has given me the ok to have him I just need to get a licence and he will deal with the rest. So this is why I haven't got things set up yet. I guess I need to learn fast, was just lucky i had a 4ft tank in storage...

keep it on breeders choise and feed it kitty kat jelly meat food, and fruits and some vegies, mine love tomatos, bananas, apple, and most other fruit, just don't feed them to much of one type of food, and no citrise fruit, ( oranges ),

fresh water daily, feed hatchlings everyday, as the grow slowly cut them back to twice a week as they get over 12 months,

you can also keep them on newspaper if you have nothing else handy,

try an get the low fat cat food if possible an more fruits an the odd pinkie mice the reason i say more fruits is bcause they would mainly eat that in the wild an obviously they wouldnt get cat food in the wild

Ive been giving him fruit, like raspberrys and peach as well as keeping a couple of snails in there.. I will give the cat food a go..

As for setting the tank up, can anyone give me some ideas of whatI should be doing with it???

the main thing he will need is somewhere to hide, and some type of floor stuff,

yes jim in the wild they don't eat cat food, but in the wild they would eat other types of meat, like bugs , grubs and dead things, but when kept in a tank they don't get thoses things so to replace their meat you give them some cat food mixed with plenty of fruit and vegies, snails are ok, just be careful they haven't eaten any snail bates, and pink mice are ok for a treat, not as a everyday food,

just make sure the cat food has no fish products in it,

i give them crickets and meat roll chicken mince and /or beef mince which would b more like the meat they eat than cat food
an yes the pinkies are a treat hence the odd pinkie

Careful with wat fruits you feed. Steer clear of citrus, altho oranges are ok every now and then, don't give banana, the phosphorous is too high, and NEVER give avocado, and while meats are fine every now and then too, their protein is a bit too high and they can't process it as well as we can.

have you got a heat lamp and a UV lamp?
most hydro/reptile shops stock them fairly cheaply.

just make sure that your lil lizard cant touch the bulbs.
and more importantly... got any pics of the lil cutey!?

I will explain the curcumstances of why I have done no research.. Just so you dont think I am silly.. HAHAHAHA

Ok a week ago i found a blue toung in my backyard, after 3 days of making sure he had water he tried to come inside. I picked him up as he looked injured and took him to the vets. The vet was unsure on wether he was wild or not. I contacted wildlife aust and took him to their reptile guy who said he was def not wild and that his type doesn't come from my area. Since I dont have a licence I was told originally I couldn't keep him. I asked they guy if I got a licence could I have him back as he was sure he wouldn't find a home as he has a deformaty. He has taken the record of him and my details and has given me the ok to have him I just need to get a licence and he will deal with the rest. So this is why I haven't got things set up yet. I guess I need to learn fast, was just lucky i had a 4ft tank in storage...

So i take it no attempt was made to see if there's a licensed keeper in your area(possibly your street) that has lost a Bluey?

Where do you live? If you are in a warm enough area you may not need any king of heat source until it starts to get a bit cooler.
Check out that site above. It has heaps of info to help you out.

I would put posters up saying that theres a lost bluey.Ask for their licence before you show them the bluey and ask questions about how big it is how old or an other characteristics [did i spell that right].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back