Any ideas ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpio19

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have just been given a 6' aquarium which i intend to turn into a vivarium (it is leaky)...any ideas on what kind of snakes to keep in it? I would rather just stick with snakes even though i know it would be gr8 for some lizards. All suggestions would be appreciated, thanks...:)

Plug the gaps, put some water in and put in an Arafura File Snake.
Tourett

I would not keep any snakes in a fishtank, they simply don't hold the heat well enough. Lizards can do well in a fishtank if you provide them with a good basking spot.

fix it chuck a peice of glass in the middle (siliconed in of course) and put half water/half land sum overhanging branches some hides and a basking spot and chuck in ither

a pair, trio or small group of keelbacks
a pair or trio of mitchels water monitors
a pair, trio or small group of macklays water snakes

or just get the branches and a hot basking spot going and keep a trio of varanus tristis or some similar spp in it

iv been thinking if it would be posible to make a nice 6ft display tank that housed file snakes and turtles (was thinking maby northern snapping turtles as they wouldent go for the fish and should be snake safe and as far as i know occure in the same range) with afew spp of fish (feeder spp such as swordtails and such possibly bigger spp like a sort of perch or sumthing that occures in the same range)

fix it chuck a peice of glass in the middle (siliconed in of course) and put half water/half land sum overhanging branches some hides and a basking spot and chuck in ither

a pair, trio or small group of keelbacks
a pair or trio of mitchels water monitors
a pair, trio or small group of macklays water snakes

What about water dragons?

Gotta go with Greebs here, Fish Tanks are not really suitable for herps other than the aquatic varieties and a leaking tank is not suitable for them either. Sorry, but, you could cut it up and use it for fronts on proper enclosures.

I agree also with Greebs! I used a fish tank for my Darwin when she was younger and insulated it to trap in the heat, but by doing so, it blew the cost of the enclosure out of the water! :wink: (pun intended! :lol: :lol:)

It's not only the heat retention thats a problem, the visual openness of a fish tank also makes the animal more stressed and snappy than in a wooden enclosure.

Like this Scorp, equipt with its own plastic hemp leaves as the younger members have stated when I first posted this pic .... lol

I would stick melamine around it and turn it into an enclosure, top opening, with 1 side of glass left glass...

Angel

Then just remove the tank from the middle and have a real enclosure left :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back