Any Other Fish Enthusiasts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha.... guppies do reproduce very quickly... and did your bristle nose breed too hey??? wow! mine never have... maybe ive got 2 males thats why? i dont know if one is a female or not :p
females don't have bristles so if you have two with large bristles then you have 2 boys ;)

oops i forgot my clown loaches...about 10 or so, they get eaten from time to time
poor clown loaches :( they are my favourites - they have personality unlike other boring fish ;)

I forgot my breeding colony of N. multifaciatus, my fighting fish and my two large silver sharks! :lol: I think forgeting what you keep is a sign maybe you have too many. :lol:

Swordtails w/c cris?

Some are, i got some colourful ones from the petshop to make them look nicer. Natural selection seems to work against them though and most of the nice looking ones get picked off leaving the "green" ones to thrive. There are still a few colourful ones around but i gave up breeding them for food and they just are part of the ecosystem in one of my ponds now and they seem to keep a stable population.

these r some phots of the fish that i have and have had

100_2456.jpg

orange spot brislenose

100_2431.jpg

community tank

100_2115.jpg

rivalartus fry i bred

100_1964.jpg

pleco male eyebiter (diminicomp) spelling
syno eruptus catfish (featherfin)

100_2030.jpg

beautful baby convict

100_1895.jpg

mum and babies

100_1100.jpg

firemouths squaring up for a hot chick firemouth

100_0460.jpg

dady of baby rivalartus

100_1740.jpg

100_1739.jpg

sry for all the pics lol
plus my cookoo catfish witch loves being hand fed and bits my hand lol it thinks its a turtle

Is there any native fish I can put into a turtle tank? I would like something that isn't going to be eaten. . .

Is there any native fish I can put into a turtle tank? I would like something that isn't going to be eaten. . .

In a decent sized tank most natives will be fine with shortnecks, long neck turtles seem to get fish that are an edible size. Larger fish are fine with any turtles provided they have plenty of space. I would avoid fish with venomous spines though. I once had an issue with an eel tailed catfish stabbing the crap out of one of my turtles.

ok ill name a few i have 30 silver scats, 23 red scats, 50 grunters, 12 eel tail cattys, 3 barra, one a bit over 40cm, 6 spangled perch, 1 jag, 2 red devils, 10 snakehead gudgeons, 10 mouth almiteys, 5 bristlenose, 2 plecos, 1 fresh water eel over 1.5mtres!! 6 bass, 6 yellowbelly....thats bout it.

Where did you get the snakegead gudgeons? I got one from a LFS but have been unable to source anymore and am keen to get at least one more.

im currently keeping:

6 Frontosa Burundi
6 Altolamprologus Compressiceps Firefin Kigoma
11 Cypricromis Leptosoma Malasa
and currently still building my stock =]

Nice saratoga Jay. I really have a soft spot for these big guys :D

I'll take my camera to work today and get some photos of my oscars.

I don't have a full photo of my discus tank :( And sadly I don't have them anymore. They got the size of a round chinese container lid and my hubby run the hose in their tank to top it up and locked the shop up and went home. He forgot about the hose and of course I lost all 4 of my beautiful discus - 2 red turq, 1 blue turw & a cobalt blue.

This is my planted tank - it was originally going to be only natives, but its ended up being a bit of a mix....It has some shrimp, mussels, freshwater crabs, various rainbowfish, and some exotics.

PlantedTank.jpg
wow! thats a lush green tank... i love this one.. would it be too much to ask if i asked you to post the names of all the plants you got there? Im gonna plant it more like your's :)

Thanks - there are some good and bad things about, the main good point being that since plants are natural filters i havent had to clean it in 2 years - i change the water once every 6 months, and the filter wool which sits in the weir once every 3 months, but never any vacuuming. The fish eat plants, and the plants eat the fish poo! Their are shrimp, snails and fish that keep the algea under control too - I like to think it is a little (almost) self maintaining ecosystem.

But there was a bit of initial outlay - its got CO2 injection and a PH monitor that controls input of CO2, and undergravel heating etc, but i like it being low maintenance.

The plants are mainly crypts, swords, and anubias but there are 2 types of moss that grow around the top and also some bolbitus that are cool and look like trees.

The main ones are (names might not be correct...):
Cryptocyrne mi oya (the main low ground plant)
Cryptocyrne walkeri
Cryptocyrne wendtii
Cryptocyrne balansae (the forest looking bit front right)
Cryptocyrne becketii

Aponogeton crispus

Bolbitus heudelotii (the tree looking bit on the left)

Microsorium pteropus (java fern - hardiest, easiest plant ever)

Echinodorushoremanii red
Echinodorus ozelot
Echinodorus rubra
Echinodorus red flame

Anubias barteri
Anubias coffefolia
Anubias afzelli

Those are the main ones, actually they are really the survivors...i put in a whole lot more than that without knowing what conditions they all liked and theseare the ones left standing!

They are all fairly hardy with low light tolerance, as my lights are quite weak.

There are also two lilies - a banana lily, and another whose name i dont know but it is meant for a pond. I have to cut back the lilys quite often because they grow like amd and block the light out.

And i have attached photos of the moss - i think its my favourite bit about the tank.

Moss2.jpg

Moss1.jpg

That pic above is awesome. Beautiful

Not good photos but I am sure you know the beauty of these guys :D

Attachments

• DSCF4085.jpg
    DSCF4085.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF4088.jpg
    DSCF4088.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF4090.jpg
    DSCF4090.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF4093.jpg
    DSCF4093.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF4099.jpg
    DSCF4099.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 61
Thanks - there are some good and bad things about, the main good point being that since plants are natural filters i havent had to clean it in 2 years - i change the water once every 6 months, and the filter wool which sits in the weir once every 3 months, but never any vacuuming. The fish eat plants, and the plants eat the fish poo! Their are shrimp, snails and fish that keep the algea under control too - I like to think it is a little (almost) self maintaining ecosystem.

But there was a bit of initial outlay - its got CO2 injection and a PH monitor that controls input of CO2, and undergravel heating etc, but i like it being low maintenance.

The plants are mainly crypts, swords, and anubias but there are 2 types of moss that grow around the top and also some bolbitus that are cool and look like trees.

The main ones are (names might not be correct...):
Cryptocyrne mi oya (the main low ground plant)
Cryptocyrne walkeri
Cryptocyrne wendtii
Cryptocyrne balansae (the forest looking bit front right)
Cryptocyrne becketii

Aponogeton crispus

Bolbitus heudelotii (the tree looking bit on the left)

Microsorium pteropus (java fern - hardiest, easiest plant ever)

Echinodorushoremanii red
Echinodorus ozelot
Echinodorus rubra
Echinodorus red flame

Anubias barteri
Anubias coffefolia
Anubias afzelli

Those are the main ones, actually they are really the survivors...i put in a whole lot more than that without knowing what conditions they all liked and theseare the ones left standing!

They are all fairly hardy with low light tolerance, as my lights are quite weak.

There are also two lilies - a banana lily, and another whose name i dont know but it is meant for a pond. I have to cut back the lilys quite often because they grow like amd and block the light out.

And i have attached photos of the moss - i think its my favourite bit about the tank.

Moss2.jpg

Moss1.jpg
that is very useful information there....
seriously even myself i change my water every once a month... the plants are the best thing in any aquaria.... i strongly recomend anyone with tropical freshwater tanks to fill it with aquatic lush green plants... they look beautiful, fish love it and you have to clean less!

i also recommend "Sera Florena" aquarium fertiliser .. its the best! i recon its lliquid gold to people who like aquatic plants... :):p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back