Anyone breeding Hypsilurus spinipes??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0_missy_0

Reaction score
As the title says, is anyone breeding the southern angle-headed dragon? Just discovered these guys, and they look pretty awesome, really different to the usual dragon, and the fact that they live in a rainforest environment makes them appeal to me more, I love rainforest critters:)Would be really interested to know of any breeders around as I'll be wanting to get one or two in the near future.

Thanks

Michelle:D

G'day missy,

Lots of people breed H.spinipes. You will start to see hatchies available around October, and they go for about $100 each.

Cheers

Jonno

Thanks Jonno:)

In all the time I've been a member here (almost a whole month now:eek:;)) I haven't seen any pics or read any posts on them, so maybe we can get some pics up of peoples' dragons?:D

i was gonna get some, till i found out they are advanced, not basic licence in vic...
they look awesome tho...

my enclosure plan in my head had a 2 foot high waterfall... it looked awesome

spinipes

2 of my spinipes,

the first is a female, the second is a male.

Attachments

• angles 001.jpg
    angles 001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 126
  • angles 002.jpg
    angles 002.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 122
Please read the Care of Southern Forest Dragons done by Marc Furbank on this site and also printed in Reptiles Australia. When you are going ok with them they are fantastic, but they are prone to sulking. You will love them but i don't recommend them as a first lizard (that's if this is your first lizard). Marc Furbank's article is pretty accurate.

Simone.

Thanks Simone., I'll have a read of that.

Nope, wouldn't be my first lizard. I've heard they are prone to sulking so I plan to get a bit of experience with other dragons before I get one of these.

Michelle:D

These were my first reptiles since i kept blueys in my teens etc.
AND i don't believe i should have gotten them. One got a kink in her tail- i culdn't understand why as she got plenty of calcium powder on the crix she got. I had been using the same UV tube for 9 months when my vet said it needs to be changed at 6. After this i changed the bulb every 6 months then i moved them outside where they flourished. Still they don't like it hot. Anything over 28 and it seems to knock them around. They will eat anything from small snails ( i use to crack the shells on larger snails and let them eat them) slugs, moths, beetles, crix, and dog food, eggs, silkworms, waxworms(god i wish you could still get them from pisces) and a variety of fruits. Mine get lazy also. I had a female that was kept solitary as she had a habit of belting up other spinipes and she laid infertile eggs year round. Put a male in with her and she laid me 2 fertile gorgeous little eggs. She died this year age 7 and a half years of age.

Simone.

janet johns has them for sale she still has some left if you still want some tell me and ill pm you her phone number i have 4 of them they are the best and to acheive best results with them take them outside a couple of times a week and they will go great i just use those flexarium and dont put them out on hot days just days that are around 20 degrees.

sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back