Anyone elses blueys slowing down feeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falconboy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
The last 2 weeks only one of my 4 blueys has gone on hunger strike. Its hardly eating anything, although the rest seem to be pretty normal. Its fat stores in its tail are still good, but its stomach/torso is a bit flat. Its still active and looks healthy otherwise.

Wondering if it might be due to the cooler weather, in particular the nights, over the last few weeks. Anyone else (particularly in Sydney) experiencing a slow down in feeding?

Mine are still eating like crazy. (shingles) they would stuff their faces daily if i let them. in incredible amounts.

im in sydney. they are in enclosures... warm ones. but the night time temps drop right down to outside temps.

what are you offering for food?

any pet store that buys from biosupplies or merrylands produce, 'should' be able to order frozen crickets by the kilo. they buy them for about $13 and sell for about $18-20 (for 1kg). but all you do is defrost a bowl full and they stuff them down. all my beardies, cunnings, netteds etc. all eat them aswell.

its a good option for bluey over dog food etc. or fast moving live prey. particularly if they are lazy.

My female has been inactive since it's cooled down. Only comes out once or twice a week now. Hasn't been eating either when food has been offered either. I'm putting it down to the cool weather. My male is still shovelling the food down.

Frozen crix hey ... Do you supplement them Kirby ?

Still mix them in with veges ?

of course! :)

.........Frozen crix hey ... Do you supplement them Kirby ?

yes i do. i offer repcal cal and multi. as well as a weekly dose of Solar drops and Bone aid. just incase.

.............Still mix them in with veges ?

Yeah, they lurve their fruits and veg, lots of endive aswell.

they OF COURSE. prefer crickets, roaches and the odd pinky on a hot day, but i still offer them 40-60% greens, veg fruit. still putting on loads of weight, ive gotta plump up their stubby tails.

maybe try some mango, or soft fruits?

i know mine would never reject their sweet tooth.

Little off topic, but my beardy is starting to slow down and is beginning her annual scratching in her enclosure so I am presuming she is feeling the nights cooling down and preparing to go into brumation.

Well, speaking of frozen crix I decided to buy a tub of live crix to see if I could tempt him, but no, he still slept with his food plate in front of him. So, I decided to cool the crix first to slow them down, and put some 'stunned' cold crix in front of him - and for the first time in 2 weeks at least he ate them!

Even better, I put a few in his feed plate, and stuck the plate in his face, and he then continued to eat his whole plate of food. Geez, the things we do!!!

Yup, My two yellows are sleeping :) Might try frozen cricks for my beardies..

Little off topic, but my beardy is starting to slow down and is beginning her annual scratching in her enclosure so I am presuming she is feeling the nights cooling down and preparing to go into brumation.

Well, speaking of frozen crix I decided to buy a tub of live crix to see if I could tempt him, but no, he still slept with his food plate in front of him. So, I decided to cool the crix first to slow them down, and put some 'stunned' cold crix in front of him - and for the first time in 2 weeks at least he ate them!

Even better, I put a few in his feed plate, and stuck the plate in his face, and he then continued to eat his whole plate of food. Geez, the things we do!!!

you... babied him?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

as ive said before, ask your local pet store if they order from merrylands. ask for 1kg of frozen crix to be ordered. they buy it for $13. so keep track of the profit they throw on it.. lolololol.

Those babies you got mate LOVE woodies. OMG they go nuts over them. Never seen them move so fast.

My adults on the other hand don't seem to go for insects that much

i havent actually tried woodies yet. i was scared they would run off into the newspaper jungle. :D

They would for sure and then you'd see the aggression. :evil:

That's why i fed them separate.

They would for sure and then you'd see the aggression. :evil:

That's why i fed them separate.

Are you sure the aggression wasn't accidental grabbing of the others limbs? They don't have great close up vision and if they see something move in front of them they will just grab it. Thats why I had to start tub feeding as I found if one got too far on the plate in front of another one, its leg would be grabbed instead of meat. :shock:

Don't think so mate. The one time i caught a nip there was no food to be seen. They had just been fed and had been put back into their tubs.

When i did feed them i watched them the whole time to make sure they had enough personal space while eating so that stuff like that wouldn't happen then when they'd all finished i removed the food.

There was never any food left in there so yeah ....

Only other thing i can think of is that they get aggitated when they're shedding, as in spin in circles trying to get the skin off. On the occasion i saw one bit another the one shedding was crawled over the top off and took a swipe and the one trampling it .. so that could of been a reason again dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back