Anyone know Auslan (australian sign language)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no just work in disability and we did Makaton stuff with the clients. and yes it is the simplified version just remember it all varies from state to state on what sign is used. my daughter signs now in high school and no one not even the teachers know what she is saying. she learnt auslan in primary as there was a deaf boy in her class. i cant keep up with her she does it so fast

Yeah Key Word Signing (Makaton) is basically just a simplified Auslan vocabulary of the basic important words so that children and adults with disabilities can better understand. Alot of people with intellectual impairments are much more visually based than aurally so they can comprehend better if there is a visual symbol to back up the verbal. Its great for all the kids in my class to learn it but its basically a necessity for the children with cerebral palsy, autism, aspergers, ADHD, etc. Its also fun cause some of my workmates know some of the signs too so we talk to each other in it. And it works wonders when kids come up in the middle of an important conversation because you can tell them to wait using your hands while still having the conversation. The child doesnt feel ignored and you dont lose your train of thought.

killimike is it hard to pick up on grammar?

I don't think so no, no more than another spoken language. One complicating factor tho is the potential for English influence. You 'can' sign in an English like format, but it's not really 'Auslan', and sometimes Deaf people might sign in that way to a beginner learner. But that aside, nah, it's all good.

Once i get a course under my belt would you be able to tutor me?

Happy to look at some options :)

So you say they dont really sign with the same structure as you would speak it.

Like instead of saying 'my name is shelly' its 'my name shelly'

I imagine simplifying it like that makes it much easier to learn... :)

You 'can' sign in an English like format, but it's not really 'Auslan'

Yeah thats the part I would want tutoring in... If I'm gonna speak it I want to speak it well!

Happy to look at some options :)

I'm probably going to enrol in a community course at the end of this month. Once I'm a bit into it ill send you a PM and we can have a chat.

Yes! Do it! Like you, I wanted to learn but had never met a deaf person before. I studied a Cert III at TAFE.
Ironically I now have a significant hearing impairment myself.

Wow its a good thing you studied it! Did you know it was going to happen? Do you predominantly sign now?

I have started flicking through the online dictionary and i can see how it can be complex as there are many signs for the same word to show a different emotion/meaning... I can sign my ASP name now :D (its small but its a start)

Its WEIRD that I studied it! Nah I don't sign. I'm fully deaf in one ear for a year now. The other one works the same as it always has.

Your face is as important as your hands when you're telling a story and communicating. Remember that :) It was vey awkward for me at first because I am such a neutral-faced talker.

Good luck!

Yeah i did realise that while i was trying some signs. Good thing i did drama in high school, it should help with the expressions:)

Good point about the facial expression, it is important generally, and there are also some specific expressions that are used to show questions, how different bits of the sentence relate to each other etc.

So you say they dont really sign with the same structure as you would speak it.

Like instead of saying 'my name is shelly' its 'my name shelly'

I imagine simplifying it like that makes it much easier to learn... :)

Sort of yeah. There is no verb 'to be' in Auslan, so it isn't used to join things together like with 'my name' and 'shelly'. To say that that means it's simplified is not the whole picture. Other languages don't use the equivalent of 'is' here, eg Romance languages, Arabic etc.

Another eg of different grammar related to giving your name. A common construction is to use a 'rhetorical question': My name what? Michael. You see people do this a fair bit when equating two things in this kinda way.

Last edited:
I never liked english in school... as long as i don't have to see things that don't exist in books auslan and i should get along quite well!

I always wanted to learn, I know the Auslan alphabet and a smidge of Makaton from working in a childcare - that was really awesome seeing preverbal kids communicating like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back