anyone seen this bloke on youtube??? LANGUAGE WARNING!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So many snake handlers, keepers etc get to a point where they feel a desire to attempt fate in this way. I have been guilty of this on many occasions. I wonder if it is too reinforce what we already think (or perhaps think we know) or we just have moments where just want to be mad buggers, couldn’t care less, excitement or whatever. The thing is though, when we get away with it how do we evaluate in perspective the result and what it really teaches us? What I do know is for sure, is getting away with it usually leads to complacency ( probably the biggest cause of all bites by snake keepers around the country unfortunately).

So many snake handlers, keepers etc get to a point where they feel a desire to attempt fate in this way. I have been guilty of this on many occasions. I wonder if it is too reinforce what we already think (or perhaps think we know) or we just have moments where just want to be mad buggers, couldn’t care less, excitement or whatever. The thing is though, when we get away with it how do we evaluate in perspective the result and what it really teaches us? What I do know is for sure, is getting away with it usually leads to complacency ( probably the biggest cause of all bites by snake keepers around the country unfortunately).
couldnt agree more mate.....i liken this to when i was in my early 20's and lived near the city and went to all the night clubs, every weekend the boys and i would go out and you could almost guarantee we would end up in a massive fight, we never lost one, but one day i woke up and thought stuff this every one i win is one closer to the one i get stabbed or end up in hospital, and never took the chance again

Freehandling changed my whole perspective on Elapids.

About 7 years ago I was a keeper who never had any type of contact with elapids. I was under the general assumption that Elapids were horrible creatures who will all bite without warning and all the rest of the bullcrap that goes along with it. This changed for me when I went to the home of a person on this forum to pick something up. They proceeded to show me their collection when they pulled out a click clack from a rack, opened the lid and gently tipped a neonate RBB into their hand. To my surprise it didn't try to bite nor did it show any type of defensive behaviour, that one single act not only showed me that the negative stigma regarding elapids was bullshit but that there were people out there who's passion drove them to be closer to their reptiles than merely admiring them through glass.
It also showed me that my fear of Elapids was irrational.

I know it hardly has anything to do with the video in question but that one tour of this person's herp room really changed not only my outlook on Elapids but reptile keeping and the levels it can be taken to.
Without that experience I honestly wonder where I would be as a keeper today.

Freehandling changed my whole perspective on Elapids.

About 7 years ago I was a keeper who never had any type of contact with elapids. I was under the general assumption that Elapids were horrible creatures who will all bite without warning and all the rest of the bullcrap that goes along with it. This changed for me when I went to the home of a person on this forum to pick something up. They proceeded to show me their collection when they pulled out a click clack from a rack, opened the lid and gently tipped a neonate RBB into their hand. To my surprise it didn't try to bite nor did it show any type of defensive behaviour, that one single act not only showed me that the negative stigma regarding elapids was bullshit but that there were people out there who's passion drove them to be closer to their reptiles than merely admiring them through glass.
It also showed me that my fear of Elapids was irrational.

I know it hardly has anything to do with the video in question but that one tour of this person's herp room really changed not only my outlook on Elapids but reptile keeping and the levels it can be taken to.
Without that experience I honestly wonder where I would be as a keeper today.

Yes, but your describing an interaction with a snake that was probably bred and/or at least to some degree accustomed to captivity and handling.
There is a huge difference in predictability between captive snakes and wild snakes.
Keepers,handlers,herpers etc take their own risks regardless of experience, but with that comes a responsibility to encourage safety and respect for the animals in question.
Whilst Brad obviously has experience with Elapids, the video and accompanying commentary runs the risk of portraying his handling of the snake as somewhat safe.

But cobras are a whole different ball game to Aussie elapids
They only strike forward and down
Thats why they use them in shows

If he did that with a tiger the result would be different

I saw a video of a guy, trying to place his finger on the top of the head of a wild eastern brown snake,
because he saw someone do it to a cobra.
needless to say, it didnt work, lol

It will soon be the late Brad Blake, just a matter of time.

Kindest regards

Endeavour
same with all of us really , unless of coarse you've discovered the fountain of eternal youth and have now become immortal

just wondering what the responses would have been if i'd posted him and a couple blokes capturing on a large salt water croc??? would this have gotten the same comments?

"Just above the snake you see the massive balls on the man"
Great commentary!

Why was that footage destroyed?
Because it could have been leaked to fetch millions of hits on youtube... Not very respectful to the family, Terri made the right decision to destroy it and I doubt it was for any other reason than that. Why wouldn't you destroy it?

I wouldn't handle a snake like this myself but I will point out for the whole length of the video the snakes head is in the grass. If anyone has handled a snake in that situation they would know that the snake is extremely unlikely to strike as it's trying to pull itself into cover with it's head.
Still, wild animals are unpredictable so I second PilbaraPythons suggestion in his first comment.

I don't care what people think...so post away I say! :lol: Oh, did I mention I don't care what anyone else thinks? :) Next thing people will be telling you is to reduce the risk to zero and don't bother keeping venomous snakes at all. Ahhh.... go live in a bubble :lol:

I don't care what people think...so post away I say! :lol: Oh, did I mention I don't care what anyone else thinks? :) Next thing people will be telling you is to reduce the risk to zero and don't bother keeping venomous snakes at all. Ahhh.... go live in a bubble :lol:

Agreed. People have their lines drawn at different lengths. I really couldn't care less what people do, as long as it doesnt risk the safety of others (inc animals). The guy in the vid just seems to love snakes and understand them well. If he wants to risk his life, thats his choice. Atleast it makes for a nice vid :)

I've seen plenty of people do dumber & riskier things in the name of enjoyment. It appears more acceptable though if people keep their dirty snake handling habits hidden behind closed doors and away from public view :lol:

But cobras are a whole different ball game to Aussie elapids
They only strike forward and down
Thats why they use them in shows

If he did that with a tiger the result would be different

I remember being told that about browns... bahahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back