APS as a Herp Club

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I was wondering (in chat as per usual) what is required to create a herp society. Just in that there are enuff people here to make a meeting feasible and then we could get together socially and occasionally have a meet the herps parties as that would fall within the licensing laws (well in NSW anyways) also by making APS a club as a whole we could have Victoria division (with fish interest), NSW division (with underpants interest), Brissy division (with frog interest) and Tasmania division (with sister/brother interest).

Nah in all seriousness is this a good idea or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers Hawkeye

Hawkeye,
Sounds like a great idea.
I am surprised no one has thought of it before.
I hope everyone feels the same and your idea can be put into pratice.

Cheers,
NCHERPS

Apparently this isn't too hard to do.
Mags has recently started a local herp society in he's area so he could fill us in on all the details involved.I guess if there was enough dedicated and committed members that could form a committee and run the society it should be a piece of cake. :)

To form a Herp Society, you need to Incorporate as an Association. This is pretty basic stuff, you need to reserve a name ($33) and then draft a set of rules (constitution) and submit that to the Depertment of Fair trading ($90.) I am in the process of forming one at the moment for Tamworth region, the other Craig (nuthn2do) is helping me along with a few others. You need to form a committee (Pres., Sec. and Treas. at a minimum,) get a bank account and a few other things. You need to have an AGM once a year, and at least 3 other Committee meetings per year. If anyone is interested in forming one, talk to me and I'll walk you through it.

For anyone that is interested, our first meeting will be on the 5th of August 7pm, venue TBA (will be in Tamworth). Cost of membership is $10 per single if you get all correspondence electronically (email) or $15 to get it all posted out. $20 and $25 per family membership.

i Know ppl making bird societies and they were a huge success. but others are complete failures like this one club has only 3 members now. how scabby is that i was a member of it when it first started but they didnt send the newsletter out to us they always forgot also forgot another half of the group too so what i haerd of is theres either 3 ppl or the club is no more. But a reptile one will proboly be a HUGE succese i think .

A few months ago popp and I had discussed this very topic. I went as far as contacting Jeff Hardy from NPWS to seek his advice on how things are done. Magpie has pretty much covered what needs to be done but I'll attach what Jeff replied to me, it doesn't really shed light on much though. I haven't taken it any further and I'm glad it's been raised again as I think it would be a good idea.

G'day Greg.

There is no objections from the NPWS to the establishment of a loose association of reptile keepers on the internet. I would have thought that the existing discussion groups on Yahoo perform that role already. A bona fide society would have to have legal status - ie. have a legal constitution and be registered as an association under the NSW Associations Incorporation Act etc.

NPWS has no formal affiliation with any herpetological society. We may promote them (through handing out their promotional pamphlets and links from our website to theirs etc) to licensees to encourage liaison between persons with a common interest, but we don't have any formal ties.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff Hardy
Co-ordinator Wildlife Licensing
Biodiversity Management Unit
National Parks and Wildlife Service

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry: :cry: What about an NT division or aren't we important enough :D

NT ?? Is that part of Australia? :p
Great Idea Hawkey.A central location would be an important issue so I think since East is central to North and South and the same difference to West then somewhere in the Eastern Suburbs would be the perfect venue. :wink:

cheers M..........

i just had a brainwave :idea: If we do end up forming a herp club possibly we could all chip in and get a reptile display licence for the entire club. Is that legal???? I think AHS may do something like that.

ANyway just an :idea:

so that means we can all go touring showing ppl our reptiles :? :?:

Hey Hawks!
I think it sounds like a fabo idea! :D

I totally agree, it sounds like a great idea. :D I also support the notion of it being in a central type area, so that those not from Sydney don't have trouble getting there. (If possible). :)

Good Idea, nice if you could make a Darwin division though.

Wow i reckon it all sounds great and i also put my hand up to help anyone who wants to set up a brisbane division, wouldn't want to do it myself as i don't know enough about herps :D :D
I live on the Gold Coast but sure wouldn't mind driving up once a month for meetings :D.

Damn me and my big mouth now I'll have to do something about it ! :lol: :lol:

I will make a serious look into it ONLY when I get some form of approval from Slateman and Slateman Junior.

My intention is to keep the site as the main focus and just create a get to meet people with your herps group so that we can get some human interaction.

My idea is also that there is no set location and the committee (or whatever) will designate a person to arrange the next meeting at a local place (eg community hall or whatever) in their area and then everyone gets a fair shake of the tail. Also by doing it this way we can then allow other states to make their meetings under the group auspice and they can get their local members there. All meetings would be advertised as such as available to all members and the committee can attend on the groups private jet. :lol: :lol:

Ok pending approval I'll keep you informed.

Cheers Hawkeye

Private jet! I'm in..

Still waiting to here what wise old Slatey has to say though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back