APS as a Herp Club

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBQ at my place Sunday 3rd August. Be there.....
Seriously though, my opnion is that you would be better off just having social get togethers more often than currently happens.
A few things to think about
- The committee is supposed to be present at all meetings (kinda rules out interstate branches.) Incorporation only covers you for one state also.
- Approximately $200 just for set up that could be better spent on beer and red wine.
- Hiring of a hall can be dificult on a casual basis, regular bookings get preference
-If you do set it up, be prepared to be the driving force for as long as you want it to run. Having spoken to other presidents of herp societies, once you take on the role, it's damn dificult to ever get someone to take over.
Anyway, not trying to be negative, if you want to do it, go for it. I think it's a great idea, just wanted to share a few of the things that I've picked up.

I am thinking same way as Magpie. If we form society, we have to pay members fee to keep going. Now we are free of charge and anybody can join.
I am not knocking this idea of society, but i think that if Hawkeye is serious about as get together and form society, best would be to start organising just friendly meetings first to see how many people will be showing up. If that will be successful, we can build up further steps to form official society.
Another think is that only Sydney members will benefit from that.
Magpie if you will organise BBQ 3th of august count me in and let us know what time..

mmmm

In that case, can we organise the next get-together near a grassy knoll??? [KIDDING!!!!]

I like Slatey's suggestion - more get-togethers first to see if the interest is there.

I think it's a wonderful idea, Hawks, but it's a LOT of work for someone... Still, if the interest is there, go for it! :eek:

OK now thats settled our first meeting will be at Davids place :p

Yeah I understand the issues involved. The reason for making an association was so that we could bring our snakes/reptiles along under the guise of our licences (well at least in NSW). Also a group can be nationwide regardless of where it is incorporated (AHS is a prime example as technically anyone can be a member regardless of location its just Sydney based).

If people are not that enthusiastic about being committee members etc and paying a joining cost then its not worth starting.

Continue with the dialogue as I need peoples feedback.

Cheers Hawkeye

:)

Thanks, Fangsy! :shock:

Actually, I'd be willing to host it here, depending on how many people there were - may be problems with fitting/seating/feeding a lot of people!

... but seriously, that may the the way to go, depending on whether people are willing to sit on floors and bring their own coffee mugs! :eek: The venue could rotate round the premises of the willing..

Of course, then you'd have to consider the security aspects too. Meetings in private homes would be the ideal opportunity for someone to "case the joint".

In any case, I'm happy to help where I can....

I'd be willing to pay a membership fee, and to help out in anyway I could, but my place is no good for a meeting. Those of you who have visited know that the loungeroom would not be real comfy for a large group of people.

I'd actually be more than happy to have a BBQ here. As mentioned, a lot of other people would have security concerns. You could always hold the get togethers at a park near someones house or something. As for bringing reptiles, if it's held at someones house, it's not really legal, but it's not really legal just to take them to a herp society meeting for no reason either. If it's held at someones house though, their reptiles will all be there anyway :D . Obviously if it's held in a park or public place it's a bit diferent. Anyways, if ya's ever want to come up here for a BBQ, just let me know and I'll get some sausages and make sure there is plenty of gas in the bottle. :D
PS. AHS have members from all over Australia, but I believe they only hold meetings in NSW.

Magpie let me know if you are serious about the BBQ and we can have friendly togethering at your place. I have to mention that you are taking some risk in case you have security problems.

Yeah I'm serious. You do know I live in Tamworth though don't you? As for the security risk, a lot of people know my adress anyway, a lot of people in town know me and that I have reptiles, probably soon to be increased as I am the president of our new herp society. People just have to understand that if they steal my herps, they take their life into their own hands. We have had a few thefts up here of herps so there is a risk, but one that I think is worth it for the pleasure of interacting with other herpers. If my friends in town who keep reptiles had not been willing to let me come round their place before they really knew me, I would never have gone on in the hobby as I have done. Anyway, if you's want to organise a convoy up here or something, I'm happy to do it. Can even put a few people up overnight if desired. :D

Oh Magpie i did not realised you are so far from us city people. Looks like BBQ is NO NO for me. Next time i am traveling through your town i will let you know. I have done lot of gliding at Lake Keepit.
To the Hawkie and others I will organise togethering in next 3 weeks and let you know details in new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back